Chapter Six

Unconditional Love

Present Time…

“So a relapse.” Doctor Harte confirmed.

I nodded as I leaned against the wall of the empty waiting room. “Yeah, Kip said that when he came back to the house he just was back in the past.” I sighed. “I shouldn’t have let him go home alone; I knew he wasn’t having a good day. Everything was upsetting him. I thought letting him go home early would be a good thing. I should’ve gone too.”

            “Honey, this isn’t your fault. Kip is still recovering. We all know anything can set him off, one can only be so careful.” My grandma soothed.

            “She’s right kiddo. The only one who can fix Kip is Kip. He’ll get better it just takes time.” Doctor Harte added. “The only thing we can do is support him and wait.”

            “I hate waiting.” I grumbled pushing off the wall. Pushing my hair back from my face I sighed. “Can we take Kip home?”

            Doctor Harte nodded, “Yes just you’ll just have to keep an eye on him. I’ll also need to see him tomorrow morning first thing. Today is Friday so school isn’t an issue.”

            “Alright, thank you.” I shook hands with Kip’s Doctor. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

            My grandparents went to check Kip out of the hospital while I went to is room with a change of clothes. I reached the solid gray door and took a light breath before opening it and stepping through.

Kip was no longer sleeping. He had moved the chair to the window and was sitting there just staring up at the cloud dotted sky.

At peaceful times like this he seemed just like the old him. I could picture him turning in his seat with a broad smile on his face, a teasing gleam in his eyes as he asked why I was just standing there. He’d beckon me over, ruffle my hair and laugh like he use to. We’d go back to how we were, happy and carefree.

But I knew that wasn’t possible. I knew that time wouldn’t magically turn back. I knew we still had mountains to climb, and I knew I’d match Kip’s every step. I knew I’d catch him no matter how many times he fell; I’d carry him if I had to.

Why?

Because I loved him with all my heart, I always would.

I approached quietly standing behind him before wrapping my arms securely around his shoulders. “Kip, are you ready to go home?” I asked softly in his ear.

“Yeah.” He breathed after a moment of silence.

“Good, I brought you some clothes to change into.” I said plopping the jeans and tee shirt in his lap.

I turned to leave but Kip caught the back of my shirt. “Stay?” He questioned softly.

I smiled lightly. “Of course, if that is what you want.”

Kip nodded and whispered a small ‘yes’.

I waited there for a while, Kip’s hand still clutched in my shirt until he realized what he was doing and let go. Without warning Kip untied the back of the hospital gown, letting it drop to the floor.

I blushed hard averting my gaze from his nearly naked frame, sporting only a dark pair of boxer-briefs and some matching ankle socks. And yes, he liked to match his underwear to his socks. Always did even when we were younger.