Chapter Three

Memories

Kip’s Point Of View…

I sighed placing my phone down on my desk. I knew Quin was going to forget about missing me when he finally arrived, problem was now I was the one missing him. It was too quiet, creepy quiet when I don’t have Quin bouncing around, or pouting. I spun my cell like a top on my desk for a bit. I had long lost interest in the book I was reading and now. Now I was just empty.

“Sometimes it sucks that Quin isn’t around to tease.” I leaned back in my chair smirking. He over reacts to everything and it was so funny. I turned my head toward my closed door; I picked up on Mr. and Mrs. Faulkner’s voices. Knowing there was nothing else to do I stood, leaving all my stuff and decided to join the adults down stairs.

“Hey,” I called to them glancing at the clock, groaning when I noticed it wasn’t even two in the afternoon yet.

“Hey sweetie pie!” My mother said kissing my on the forehead. “Hannah and Ian are here we were just going to talk in the kitchen and have some snacks. Would you care to join us?”

I shrugged and took a seat. ‘Snacks’ usually meant Hannah baked something sweet.”Sure I’ll join.”

I wasn’t surprised when Hanna placed a plate of baked goods on the table. I was even less surprised when the conversation started to revolve around how I was doing in school, what my classes were like and if I had been hanging out with kids my age. I clicked my tongue at the last part knowing Quin would have pitched a fit after hearing that from the parents.

“I’m doing fine and have plenty of friends both older and younger. Though, usually people two years younger to two years older than yourself are considered ‘your age’.” I rebuffed just for Quin. The parents had a good laugh at my comment which I joined in on.

We continued our happy conversation, laughing, teasing and joking around. I liked listening to our parents’ stories of when they were my age. The mistakes they made, the trouble they got into, and all the fun times they had together as best friends. Most kids my age thought their parents where annoying, I didn’t think that. I thought Quin’s and my parents were pretty cool; their stories made me think of all the things Quin and I have done together and what things we have yet to do.

I smiled giddily thinking into the future. Right now Quin was a stubborn kid with a big attitude. He was childish and wanted things his way all the time. However; he was also sweet and loving. It made me wonder what he would be like in a few years. Surly he’d get really tall, while I took after my mother in height who was only five feet tall, Quin took after his dad who was six foot and his grandfather who was six four in his younger years. It was depressing to think I probably wouldn’t make it past five eight or nine. I puffed up my cheeks momentarily before blowing on my bangs. There was one thought nagging at my stomach though; will Quin always be this close to me?

Taking how close my parents and his are still to each other the chances were high. But would we really be able to stick so close when one of us got a girlfriend? I slid my glance over to my father. Did my dad feel lonely when Hannah took his best friend?

I scrunched up my nose in thought; if Quin got a girl I definitely wouldn’t be too thrilled. Placing my chin on the table I sighed again. As much as everyone teased Quin for being so clingy with me, I was undeniably the one who was more attached. I just hid behind his open clinginess, pretending it is all him to act ‘older’ or ‘mature’. I think it would hurt more than I would care to admit if he suddenly abandoned me.