Chapter Two

Not So Funny Punch Line

I woke to an annoying buzzing sound in my ear. Eventually I was able to make out what the sound was; my alarm. I reached over Kip and pressed the big button on the top. Weirdly enough Kip is a heavy sleeper, it take the alarm going off three times before he finally wakes. Well… That or me blowing in his ear. I chuckled drowsily tilting my chin up to look at his face.

He still had slightly chubby checks, showing he was still a kid. His nose was straight and the tip was slightly turned up, his cheek bones were high and his profile was addicting to look at. Straight brown hair that looked black in uncertain light, long eyelashes. I grinned nuzzling into him; he gets his looks from his mom. He says it is annoying to have soft girly features. I think he looks pretty, much more pretty than the annoying girls who hang on me whenever Kip visits my classes.

Kip stirred in his sleep mumbling while he shifted, facing me. I gulped involuntarily, as our faces were so close that our noses were touching and I could feel his breath hot on my skin. “Kip.” I whispered poking him on the chest. “Kip.” I repeated taping his nose. Knowing none of the poking or prodding would work I sat up. Leaning my weight on him I leaned close to his exposed ear and whispered, “Kip.” Popping the P softly so I blew air into his ear.

He groaned pushing me off the bed as he rolled to the other side. “Quin you know I hate when you do that.” He said rubbing his face with one hand.

I whined in protest as I twisted around to see his face. “You knocked me off the bed! My bed!”

Kip looked me up and down with a straight face as if he didn’t hear me. “Well that looks awfully uncomfortable. What‘r’doin’ down there Quin?” His question made my jaw drop. This a smirk broke out on his lips, “I’m just kidding, sorry I threw you off your bed.”

I clamped my jaw shut and just glared at him which was hard because his dark hazel eyes where shinning playfully. “Whatever!” I huffed in defeat as I retreated out of the room and into the bathroom. I started the morning routine my mother oh, so carefully drilled into me with scary stories of teeth rotting out of my face, going baled by seventeen, and having pimples the size of acorns. Of course I didn’t actually believe any of the stories… Much.

I splashed water into my face then took my tooth brush, covered it with toothpaste just in time for Kip to join me. I stuck the tooth brush in my mouth and started to scrub, side stepping the sink so Kip could wash his face. He naturally had a tooth brush at my house since he practically lived here half the time.

“Ey, Ip, oo ou eilvie hu ries om old ss?” I asked around my toothbrush which errand a confused glance from Kip as well as myself. If the question wasn’t in my head I wouldn’t have known what I had said but Kip is so amazing he pulled the words right out of my head.

“Do I believe in the stories your mom told us?” He questioned, and I nodded still brushing my teeth as foamy toothpaste started to bubble at my lips. “Well, it is true all your teeth will fall out if you don’t brush them at least twice a day.” Then he looked at me as I went wide eyed and spit in the sink to clear my mouth.

“T-Twice a day!? I forgot to before bed last night!” I applied more toothpaste to my brush and started scrubbing more, determined to make up for last night.

Kip took a moment to laugh at my distress. Soon he straightened starting to comb his hair back out of his face. “As for the balding at seventeen, I’m sure if you skip combing your hair for a couple of days you won’t bald…” My shoulders sagged before Kip added, “…Until you are twenty.” I looked at him incredulously. Was he serious?