Chapter Nine

What Is Healing

It felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I didn't know how much not sharing my feelings with Kip affected me emotionally until I let it all out. I felt so much lighter, happier. I confessed my love for Kip and he loved me back. This had to be the best day ever.

I shifted slightly to pull Kip closer into me. After our heated make out session we'd pulled in the kites, putting them away and taking out the book we bought. Kip snuggled into my chest on the beach and we took turns reading out loud until the sun started to set. Since we could no longer see the pages we turned our attention to the bewitching orange, pink and gold sunset over the ocean.

I didn't even notice Kip had fallen asleep in my arms until I tried to get up after the sun had gone down. He looked so comfortable; I didn't have the heat to wake him. Instead I shifted our position so I could lay on the towels with Kip curled up on my chest. I watched him sleep for a while before falling asleep myself.

Thankfully we didn't sleep the whole night on the beach. It was chilly and my grandparents would most likely be freaking out.

As if on cue my phone started to ring, then Kip's cell started to ring. I picked them both up. My grandfather was calling my phone while my grandmother's number was lit on Kip's phone. I sighed and opened my phone to answer.

"We're okay." I stated.

"Where are you? I'll come get you." My grandfather replied before I heard his garbled voice go in and out. Most likely telling my grandma he got a hold of me.

"We are on the beach. We'll meet you on the pier." I answered.

"Okay I'll see you in ten minutes." Then he hung up.

I closed my phone and slipped both cells into the tote. Stretching my arms above my head I shook Kip softly. "Kip, come on. The grandparents are worried and coming to get us."

Kip stirred, lifting his head up and rubbing his eyes. "Oh..." He murmured. After a moment he leaned over kissing me on the cheek before standing. "We better go then."

"Yeah." I stood brushing off my pants then pulling the towels off the ground and shaking them out before I folded them and placed them into the tote.

"I'm hungry." Kip complained when we started our trek back to the pier.

"I am too. We can eat when we get home, and then take a bath or something. I got sand in my pants." I commented.

Kip chuckled a little. "You got sand in my hair too."

"Oh so it's all my fault now?" I questioned quirking a brow.

"Yup!" Kip said before running away from me.

"Hey! Get back here!" I called after him, chasing him.

By the time we reached the pier both of us were laughing hard and trying to catch our breath. Kip had tripped over a patch of sand and got seaweed and wet sand all over himself. I had tried to help him up but he thought it would be fun to throw seaweed at me too. Which had ended up in a battle of the seaweed arts.

Now we were sticky, giddy messes.

When we reached the car my grandma gasped. Probably because Kip was laughing happily with me; which he hadn't done in a very long time.