Chapter Five

Amnesia

It had been nearly a week since the horrible incident. My grandparents’ guardianship of Kip and I was pending and almost guaranteed; they had gotten a really good lawyer since they were well off in their retirement. Christmas came and went, and it was horrible! It was the worst day of my life, we didn’t do anything. Not that we had wanted to, Kip was still in a coma laying in the hospital and my grandparents were stuck rearranging our parents’ funerals which were not going to be held until after new year. The police still had their bodies because they needed to wrap up the “Serial Killer” case. My grandmother was too upset and exhausted to argue they give her baby back.

Which brings us to the hospital; Kip finally got out of emergency care and was in a completely stable state. Though he was still in a coma and Doctor Anderson couldn’t figure out why; something about his brain waves being fine and that he was keeping himself in a coma. I didn’t understand but I let it go because like both my grandparents I was too tired to argue.

Every day after Kip was released from the ICU I visited him, usually spending the whole day in his room. That was where I was now, sitting beside his bed on an uncomfortable chair. My feet were propped up against the side of his bed and I was reading a book. It was some fantasy novel about a knight and a princess. I sighed, closing the book and placing it on my lap. I let it slip off my lap and drop to the floor as I stared up at the blank ceiling.

I jumped at the sudden gravelly voice that was all too familiar. “Poor book.”

“Kip!” I shouted standing so fast my chair toppled over. “Oh my god! You’re awake!” I almost launched myself at him but held back remembering how he was hooked up to all that stuff. Instead I reached for his hand and grasped it clumsily.

“My throat hurts.” He rasped. “Water?”

I let go of his hand and hastily stumbled into the bathroom to grab a paper cup and fill it with water. “Here!” I said almost tripping on my chair as I came running back. I noticed my hands were shaking really bad, and tried rubbing them to calm down.

Kip choked on the water at first and I nervously tried to help by lightly patting his back and taking the cup, though I probably made it worse. “Thanks,” He sighed as I set the cup aside. “It feels as if I haven’t talked in ages… Where am I?” He asked looking around at the small room and groaned when he saw the cords he was hooked to.

“You’re at the hospital,” I started, still antsy from trying not to tackle into him and cry. You don’t know how badly I wanted this to all go away. I wanted Kip to hold me close and tell me everything was going to be fine, but he didn’t, and he wouldn’t; not anymore. “You’ve been here in a coma for a little over a week.”

Kip gave me an utterly confused look. “What? Why?”

I echoed his confusion my voice cracking from the emotion, “You don’t remember?”

“Remember what?” He shot back starting to sound annoyed. “Last thing I remember is you leaving for your grandparent’s house, and then everything goes fuzzy!”

I gulped, “Really?”

“Yeah, and it is over a week later?” He tried to sit up but caught his breath in pain. “Ouch! My chest hurts.” I stared at him for a moment unable to react.

“Oh, I should tell the doctor you are awake, and my grandparents.” I stated trying to avoid eye contact. I reached forward and pressed the button on the side of the hospital bed. It alerted the nurses and one was entering the room in under a minute.