Chapter Four

First Visit

Back To Quin’s Point Of View…

After the initial shock I pretty much went numb. It took a bit for the situation to actually sink in and once it did I couldn’t tell up from down. Eventually; when my grandmother recovered and was being eerily calm about the whole thing, the officers started politely answering all the questions we had asked them.

We learned that Kip was in the hospital, in a coma and in very poor condition. Since the only witness and victim was unconscious they had no way of knowing exactly what had happened and were still trying to sort out the events of the evening. They were pretty sure Kip’s and my parents and were all killed before the freighting emergency call made from Kip’s cell phone; leaving the killings of the murderers to Kip. That was a scary thought, but I was just glad Kip survived.

My grandmother talked to the officers about taking custody of Kip since his only relatives where his parents. Both officers agreed that they thought being with people he was close to instead of being put in an orphanage or in foster care would be better, but we would still have to convince a judge.

After talking for almost an hour I finally asked the question swimming in my head since I learned Kip was in the hospital. “Can we go see Kip?” I voiced getting four pairs of eyes looking back at me; it was the first thing I had said since the phone call over an hour ago.

“Yes, I think that would be best.” My grandmother answered turning to the officers. “We are done here right? I’d like to see Kiplyn as well.”

The officers stood and the female nodded. “Of course, I’m sure they’ll let you in to see him if you explain.”

“We’ll just take our leave,” the male added after a pause. “I’m truly sorry for your loss.”

My grandmother nodded with tears shinning in her eyes. “Thank you.”

My grandfather guided the officers out f the house while my grandmother patted me on the back. “Go get a coat and fill a bag with a change of clothes and something to entertain you we might be at the hospital for awhile.”

I jumped up, gave my grandma a long hug. “I love you grandma.”

“I love you too, sweetie.” She squeezed me back.

Once we let go I gave her a weak smile before heading out of the room and to the stairs. I felt like there was a weight on me, like something was pushing down on me. Moving was difficult and I clung to the railing on the stairs for dear life, afraid I would slip if I didn’t.  I walked down the hallway and to my room, everything felt empty and I turned on the lights quickly. It almost felt like something was going to jump out at me, which was weird because I had never been afraid of the dark before.

I moved to the bed and pulled my backpack out from under it. I threw in a blanket, two pairs of clothes, a book, my stuffed toy, and my games. I doubted I would be playing anything but it wouldn’t hurt to bring it. Once I was done I grabbed the coat I stole from Kip, put it on and headed out of the room.

“Grandma I’m ready.” I said reaching the bottom of the stairs. My grandfather was already putting on his hat and coat when I reached the front door.

“Alright,” Grandma called from her bedroom on the first floor. “Get into the car I’ll be right there.”

“You okay kido?” My grandfather asked opening the door and letting me take the keys to the car.