Prologue

A/N: I know my Prologues suck bad so please try to read Chapter I after you read the Prologue, it dose get better I promise!

Prologue

            I hesitated to unlatch the gate, for some reason I had this eerie feeling something bad was going to happen if I did. I shook my head to dislodge the thought making a strap on my school backpack slid off my shoulder. I unlatched the gate connecting to my back yard and when in, two out of three times I stupidly forget to bring my house keys with me when I leave; this was one of those times.

            After closing the gate and walking the length of the house I come to the sliding glass door connecting to the kitchen. Heaving a sigh I slid it open, once again glad that my grandparents never lock it.

            Once inside I drop my heavy bag on the dining room table and head to the kitchen, walking a mile just to get home is a major pain in the ass. I was too lazy to get my license, my grandparents had some errands to run and taking the high school buss with sweaty, loud and obnoxious peers wasn’t my walk in the park.

            I opened the fridge and took out the jug of orange juice. Without looking down I placed the jug on the counter and reached for the cupboard door, placing my other hand down on the countertop. My heart stopped. I closed my eyes as I felt the sticky warmth beneath my palm. Oh god in heaven please let whatever it is on the counter be hot coco, or coffee, or anything but- I looked down at the dark red substance and let out a shaky breath.

            “KIP!” I screamed gliding my eyes over the blood splattered counter then at the ground where the blood coated chef’s knife lay. “Kip!” I yelled again snatching a towel off the sove handle and willing my legs to follow the trail of blood leading out of the kitchen.

            At first I could barely move but then I sprinted to the hall my eyes locked on the heavy amounts of blood littering the floor. It lead out of the kitchen, into the hall and to the stairs. My eyes followed up the steps before I reached them and landed on my best friend whom had collapsed halfway up.

            “Kip! What the hell!” I grunted taking three steps at a time then sliding down beside him. My heart was in overdrive and it threatened to leap out of my chest. I reached for him, my hands shaking so bad from fear. I gingerly touched him on the shoulder. He had his face down one arm sprawled out in front of him as if he had tried to catch himself, the other; the one bleeding, tucked under him.

            “Kip…” I cried, my voice shaking as I scooted closer. I placed a hand on his neck to check for a pulse and held my breath when I felt how icy his skin felt.  Bu-dump. I released my breath as I felt a pulse, weak but it was there.

            “Kip, god damnit. Why?” I choked, trying to keep from crying. I turned him over, placing his head in my lap and leaning over him. I took the towel and moved his left arm, there was a deep cut running from his wrist to his elbow and I cringed as I wrapped the towel the best I could around the self inflicted wound.

            Still cradling his head in my lap I flipped out my cell phone and dialed 911. It started to ring and I looked down and Kip, removing his hair from his face. “911 emergence, what’s the problem?” A woman’s voice answered.

            “Y-yes, my name is Quincy Faulkner. My best friend Kiplyn Carter tried to commit suicide and is bleeding really bad.  I need an ambulance please.” My voice broke and I started to cry as I voiced the problem. The woman asked for the address and I gave it to her twice because the first time I was sobbing too hard to be understood.