Chapter Ten

I’m Here

            Sunday was another play day. Kip and I watched some movies, took a walk and ate out at a pizza parlor. Things went well on Monday as well. Kip and I had been bombarded with questions from our small circle of friends; all of them were worried about Kip. He actually laughed with everyone which had them bouncing off the wall. I couldn’t keep the beaming smile off my face.

            Then came Tuesday. At first everything was perfectly fine, Kip was being his chipper self from the past couple days. However, I noticed something wrong as soon as I saw him at lunch. He didn’t smile at me when he saw me; he just looked the other direction.

            “Kip?” I asked when we were within speaking distance.

            Kip hesitated shortly before taking a deep breath. “I- I don’t want to run away so can we go somewhere more private?”

            “Of course.” I stated striding forward and grabbing Kip’s wrist. We walked the halls for a bit before I found a classroom that wasn’t locked and had no teacher inside. Once in I locked the door and walked Kip over to a desk sitting him down on the table top. He shifted a little then held out his hands to me. I stepped in between Kip’s legs pulling him to. He sighed into me wrapping his arms around my torso and nuzzling my chest. I took to rubbing his back, between his shoulder blades while I gripped his hip with my other hand.

            “What happened love?” I spoke barely above a whisper.

            Kip pushed against me so he could look up at me. “I was in class, English.” He started. “With Mike, Wes and Hannah.” I nodded even though I knew that the class he had before lunch was with three of our five friends.

            “W-well we were working together in a four man teams for a project. Everything was going great until Hannah asked if… If you and I were going out.” Kip shut his eyes. “I mean it wouldn’t have been a big deal if we were alone but Mike started off on how ‘just because Kip and Quin are close doesn’t automatically make them fags’. I told him that we weren’t ‘fags’ but we were going out.” Kip’s gaze flickered as he paused to judge my reaction.

            I just nodded. “Yeah, Mike was being a dick like normal so what happened to make you so upset?”

            Kip sniffed. “Mike laughed at me. He said that there was no way you’d go out with me. He said that you were just pitying me and that no one could handle my emotional baggage. And how I was just a suicidal mess.” Kip choked out. “I mean, I didn’t believe him or anything, it just h-hurt.”

            I clenched my jaw. Mike was in for it later. We had physical ed. together. I took a calming breath. “Thank you for telling me, your right Kip. I don’t think that way at all. I’m just glad you were willing to admit we were a couple.”

            Kip wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. “Why wouldn’t I?”

            I shrugged. “Do you feel better?”

            Kip nodded right away. “Doctor Harte was right, telling you right away feels better than keeping it bottled up.”

            I smiled. “Good, I’m glad. So what did Wes and Hannah do after what Mike said?”

            Kip smiled back. “Wes kicked Mike’s chair out from under him and Hannah told him to fuck off and go join another group for the project.”