Chapter One

Never Ever

4 Years Ago…

            “But mom, why can’t Kip come too?” I questioned in a whinny tone.

            “Quincy, you know Kip has things he has to do this week.” My mother retorted without turning to look at me. She continued mixing the contents of her bowl, probably cookies to send with me for my grandparents.

            I slid down off the counter at stomped off, turning to stick my tongue out at her as I went. Once in the hall I dashed to the door and slipped on my shoes. If I can’t get mom to let Kip come because he’s busy then I’ll just go ask Kip himself! I thought as I opened the door.

            Kip was my best friend, we went everywhere together. He even lived next door, our parents were also really good friends since high school. Are families, my parents, his parents an us would always be planning outing together. His family was like my second family and vice versa.

            I grinned widely as I opened Kip’s front door. “Karen? Where’s Kip?” I asked peaking into the living room to see Kip’s mom sitting on the couch reading a book.

            She glanced up over the binding and smiled at me. “He’s in his room sweetie.” She answered before going back to reading.

            I voiced a short thank you before climbing the polished wood staircase. Once on the second floor I darted right and ran to Kip’s door. I hovered for a moment to catch my breath. Kip was playing music and I swayed to the beat before bursting the door open. “Kiiiiiip~” I shouted in excitement.

            He was sitting at his desk, concentrating on something most likely boring, but I didn’t care. I bowled right into him knocking him off his chair and onto the floor. I started to giggle like a maniac.

            “Woah! Quin! What are you doing?” He hollered obviously startled as he looked down at me. “Hey! It’s in the middle of December, where is your coat? And why are you wearing short sleeves?”

            I rolled my eyes. “Your house is next door, takes two seconds to get here. Why would I need a coat?” I questioned back before nuzzling into his stomach.

            Kip sighed then pushed me up so he could sit. “You still need a coat Quin.” He reprimanded before his tone softened. “So, what’s up? Why’d you come bursting in my room and knocking me to the floor?”

            I giggled a bit before answering. “I am going to my grandma’s house tomorrow for the week. It’s the first week of winter break! So, you should come too! They love you so it’ll be no problem.” I added giving him the sweetest look I could muster.

            Kip’s smile faded. “I’m sorry Quin but I have stuff I gotta do this week. I can leave town.”

            I crossed my arms over my chest and pouted, “That’s not fair. We always spend the breaks together. If you can’t come then I’m gonna stay!” I finished sitting back on the ground in defiance and crossing my legs.

            “Quincy.” Kip sounded in a stern tone that made my scowl deepen. “You grandparents miss you and want to see their grandson for the holidays. Be glad you have any, all of mine are gone.”

            My scowl turned into a sad frown as I looked up at Kip. He got up from the floor and dusted off his pants. Then Kip started replacing the materials that I knocked off his desk. “But I’ll miss you Kip.” I whispered under my breath.