Chapter Seven

Doctor Harte

I had grandpa drop Kip and I off at Doctor Harte's office on his way to what he called his 'part time job'. Technically both my grandparents were comfortably retired but that couldn't stop my grandpa from getting out and doing things. He absolutely loved working with his hands.

Kip held tightly onto the sleeve of my hoodie as we entered the small office building that was made into a doctor office. I pushed through the front doors and made my way to the front counter.

"Hello Quin!" The young receptionist named Haley called happily when she saw us walk through the doors. "Hey, Kip. Doctor Harte said you'd be here this morning."

I nodded to her. "Yeah, when is his next opening?"

Haley smiled sweetly. "Right now actually. He just got done with his previous appointment and is free until just before lunch."

"Cool, can we go in then?" I asked.

"Sure, I'll call him to let him know just go ahead to his office you know where it is."

"Thanks Haley." I finished. "Come on Kip."

We passed by the waiting room which held a couple of people waiting for other doctors to be free. I pushed on the door that led to a hallway with rooms on either side. Plaques on the doors held the names of the doctors whom worked within. Almost all the doors were shut to symbolize private meetings with patients. Three doors down on the right was Doctor Harte's door which was open to reveal him sitting behind his desk in a comfy looking chair.

He glanced up when I gave a light tap to the opened door. "Oh, Kip. Quin. Come in, come in." He stood up taking a clipboard with him from the desk and walked around his desk to sit in a comfy armchair facing a couch. There was a round plush rug between the two seats. Floor to ceiling bookshelves covered all the wall space, save for the wide window behind Doctor Harte's desk. I followed Kip through the door way and closed the heavy hunk of wood behind us.

Kip sat down on the couch facing Harte then turn to watch me with clenched fists pressed to his knees. I walked over to him and he reached for me before I could take my seat. Grabbing both my hands in his he crushed my sturdy palms with his delicate fingers. He pressed his thumbs so hard into the fleshy centers on my palms I was sure he was going to leave marks.

"You aren't in trouble Kip." I murmured just loud enough for Kip to hear. I took my place beside him but he refused to let my hands free.

"Do you need a minute Kip?" Doctor Harte spoke softly.

Kip shook his head.

"Alright, then I'll start." Harte continued. "How are you feeling this morning Kip?"

Kip shrugged. "Okay. I had a nightmare..."

Harte jotted something down on his clipboard. "Okay, and did you have control in your dream?"

Kip shook his head.

"No? Did you try?"

Again Kip shook his head.

"Alright, what about last night after you went home? How did you feel then?" Harte questioned.

I stayed silent like I always did. It wasn't my place to comment unless Harte specifically asked me a question. My control was what let me stay in the room with Kip, that and the fact that Kip wouldn't talk to anyone about anything unless I was in the room with him.