Chapter 14

I woke up with a smile on my face. Today will be better. I looked up at a sleeping clay and my smile grew bigger. I moved away from him and went over to the bathroom where I showered and brushed my teeth. I came out of the shower and remembered I didn't have clean clothes with me. "Shit." I cursed trying to think of something, then I remembered where I was and went back into Clay's room and grabbed one of his shirts and ran back in the bathroom before he woke up and saw me. I quickly slipped on my underclothes and his shirt and ran my fingers through my wet hair before I went back out. I walked back out and saw he was still asleep so I just went into the kitchen to make some coffee and breakfast. I walked into his kitchen and stopped dead in my tracks. There on the front of the refrigerator was a picture of all of us. Me, Rachel, and Margret in the front with Clay, Jim, and Adam behind us. I studied it taking it off the fridge and sitting down on a bar stool. "How could I have forgotten this?" I breathed looking studying the picture. I scoffed. "I guess I have my wonderful parents to thank for that." A tear rolled down my cheek as I got up and walked out of the kitchen, my apatite now gone. I walked around the house. It's so beautiful. "I can't believe you got them to sell it to you Clay." I mumbled looking at the staircase. "Believe me it wasn't easy." A voice answered behind me. I spun around to face him. "You talked about wanting this house for years. How did you get them to sell it?" He shrugged his shoulders and smirked "My parents may have helped. A little....And the fact I was dating their daughter helped too." My mouth gaped open. "Wow.Is that why you dated her?" He nodded. "Well, not at first. I didn't know her family owned this house, then she brought me here to meet them, and I couldn't very well dump her before I convinced her to have them sell." I just shook my head. "Classy Clay. Classy." He came up to me and wrapped his arm around me. "It's not like you wouldn't do the same thing." I rolled my eyes. "Mhm." We stood there looking out the window into the beautiful spring morning. "It really is beautiful Clay." He just shrugged. "I'm just glad I came back, however the house is a nice bonus." I turned around to look at him the picture still in my hands, "Where was this taken?" I asked holding it up so he could see it. He took it in his hands studying it, and a smile crept on his face. "This was taken on your's and Rachel's 13th birthday. Neither one of yall wanted a big party, so we took yall out on the town for the night. Your parents took this before we left. It was really crazy, how much they trusted us. You know? They knew we'd never let anything happen to yall." I smiled. "Was this it? Was this the night?" I whispered. He shook his head. "No. No, that happened about 3 months after this. I'm just so sorry. I don't even know how it happened." I put my finger to his lips to make him stop talking. "Hey, shhhh. No, it's bit your fault. I don't blame you for any of this." He half smiled, but I could tell it was fake. "But if I had just kept my eyes on the road...I just looked back at you for 2 seconds. I never saw that car coming at us." He finished a tear rolling down his cheek. I wiped it away with my thumb and brought his face down so it was only inches from mine. "I don't care what happened. I know you, and I know you didn't wreck on purpose. It was an accident Clay. I promise I don't blame you and I won't allow you to blame yourself." I insisted and brought his lips down so they met with mine.