CHAPTER NINE

Iva

"So you guys won't ask about Nora?" I asked.

We have been catching up almost half the day and not once did they mention Nora, all they have been interested in is how I managed to escape the pit and what I was doing the remainder of the years.

I have explained to them how I managed to succeed and told them what I have been busy with, they were surprised that I was present in every meeting they held with buyers or potential clients, I explained to them that it wasn't because I didn't trust them to do the work, it was the only way I could see them without being discovered and brought to Emilio's mercy.

"Yea, uh I, don't know how to approach that topic, to be honest," Ermanno confessed, and Emiliano nods in agreement.

"So you are curious?" I ask again.

"Yes, Mama" they replied.

I smile at them shaking my head, I had no idea how this will go, but I was done keeping secrets from them, they are grown men now and I believed they could handle anything, so I told them the truth, about their birth mom, how she suffered drug abuse and how Marcus tried to use her at first, I explained everything while looking at the pained expression on their faces and I felt guilty.

"I understand that we didn't give you boys a chance to choose, get to know her, and decide for yourselves, we took that away from you and I regret that Your Father-" I took a deep breath.

"He was scared after that incident, you boys could have died, after that he swore to never let her come close to you, I was worried about her, but I wasn't her favorite person, Nora had a problem and she did try to get better, I could see her fighting to become better, she would do anything to gain your father's trust again and I was secretly rooting for her, but her loyalty and love for Marcus was a problem, I, of course, could not tell her anything, or even judge her, the man did raise her and took care of her, no matter his behavior he seemed to love her like a daughter, but being loved by him was her downfall"

Silence filled the room before Emiliano spoke.

"You talk about her in the past tense" he states.

I look down, this was one of the things I wasn't sure of, Emilio did what he could as a Father for them, and I couldn't be sure if my actions were because I wanted what was best for the boys or was it. After all, I did it for selfish reasons, I can not help but think that I should have tried harder to reach her, help her become better, and make her feel part of the family instead of standing by and watch my husband push her away, guilt was eating at me this was my biggest regret, even though Marcus was the puppet master and the cause of all her troubles I could have done something, this started long before I became part of the family, but maybe.

"Mama?" Ermanno called out to me when I didn't respond.

I looked at them and contemplated if another lie would hurt or protect them, as soon as that thought came to mind I shook it off, no this is the least I could do for them.

"She died," I tell them.

"How?" I heard Ermanno ask, and I burst out crying as the images start flooding my head.

I hadn't realized how heavy the weight of her death was on me, I didn't know her, I only cared for her but at a distance, but I knew she didn't deserve the life she lived and Marcus didn't deserve her love, I've heard of toxic lovers but Marcus was a toxic Father on steroids, and it angered me that he still gets to live after what he did, my anger and pain isn't even for my suffering anymore but for all those who suffered at his wickedness.

"Marcus killed her" I state simply.

"What!"

"That doesn't make sense"