🎭 . . chapter twelve.

( ❑❑❑ )

SONG   OF    THE    DAY                :
the one that got away - katy perry

. . . . . .

"you didn't tell me you'd stay here."

raeil was at her apartment's vanity area, completing her look of the day while blasting sad songs (of which she definitely couldn't relate to . . . . yet) when moonyoung entered.

she shrugged. "i just felt like it."

the topic shifted smoothly. "oh, by the way, is there anything wrong with yuta? he's not the type to go m.i.a. for a week straight."

"yeah, about that . . . . " it looked as if she didn't want to answer, judging by the way her gaze explored even the farthest corners to distract herself. "stop playing that song, goddammit."

reaching out for the phone playing spotify, moonyoung frustratedly clicked skip, only to realize that one song was on loop a minute after the aggressive pressing. as you can see, she wasn't really tech-savvy.

"did he become the one that got away?" she was asked.

"huh?"

"he left you? what did you do?"

god, how could she know so much?

"i made him leave, and he did, but for some reason i . . . . i kinda wish he pressured me more to listen to him. he left that easily? no other tries? he wanted to help and said he 'saw everything in my eyes,' but couldn't even sense how insincere i was when i said he should go away? it's complicated, i can't explain it."

when moonyoung looked back at her bestie, she was nearly startled by the threatening, sarcastic smile she shot.

"do you know how dumb you sound right now?"

"i—"

"what? did you seriously think i'd say something supportive?"

"you can't just push someone away then cry over it later like a victim as if it was their fault for leaving you alone. that's bullshit. people can't read right through you. especially when your face is as blank as that."

"i know but—"

"you know what? this reminds me of what happened to you and your dad."

"don't bring my dad up."

"no, i will. i will because you know damn well how much you acted like he was the worst person in the world even if he always tried to reach out. then you had the audacity to curse him after he died because he 'didn't want to spend time with you' to be considered a father? is this part of your 'emotionless executive' persona or is it simply stupidity?"

raeil continued, "anyways, let's say you see that yuta finds a new girl in the future. you'd react like that, won't you? every night, you'd whine about him finding someone else because he spent more time on receiving actual love instead of running after you. because you want him to chase you even if you've pushed him away way too much. you're so fucking vague."

"stop."

"shush. i know you, moonyoung. you're my best friend. that means i'm already aware of how stupid you are, and i've accepted it. this time, you just really, really need to know it yourself," the secretary said, "i may sound harsh, yes, but that's what you need. don't be so hypocritical, you've given me the unsugarcoated treatment for the entirety of our friendship. you deserve it too."

"then what should i do?"

"don't waste any time. go to him. now. i'm not forcing you to, but you seem like you need it, so go. he can't make the first moves between you two forever.

"don't let him be the one that got away. it'd pain me to see you two not being endgame."

still, moonyoung was hesitant. "and if he's the one to turn me down this time?"

"that's called getting a taste of your own medicine." raeil then chuckled, noticing how the other pouted. "i'm kidding. the chances are slim. the man really loves you! he'll understand you."

"really?"

"really."

raeil made sure to be extra dramatic while standing up from her vanity chair once she was finished with her makeup, preparing for her exit. "now, ta-ta, love, i'm gonna be late for my date with doyoung. you know how cranky he gets."

( ❑❑❑ )