If I go home I won't ever be able to see you again.

Jane walked home, now regretting her choice to not take Skeppy back with her. He could have run away again, taken another boat back to where he came from. Would that make her a terrible mother? It would seem like such an obvious question for some but for Jane it was hard.

Skeppy had already made an impression to be one to run away from things that he didn't want to do. He always covered himself up, hid himself from the rest of the world. It would make her a bad mother to let her child do that to themselves, right? Probably. But she would be even crueler to not let them have space. Jane didn't really know what to think.

She had never been in Skeppy's shoes, so she shouldn't assume the way that he walks in them was wrong. Wrong. What was wrong with Skeppy? She laughed, knowing she would probably never get the answer now. Maybe there really wasn't anything wrong with Skeppy in the first place. Jane wished that Skeppy would have just willingly went to the doctors with her. Then she would have an answer and she would be able to fix it. Because that's what doctors do. They fix problems.

Skeppy walked down the riverbank. He wondered if he should just give up. Let the people have him again like they did at his home. Was there any other option for him? As he walked he saw the fields in the distance.

Options. His last option. Skeppy started to run again. There really was no reason to, but he felt like he had to. He felt like every breath he took was another breath of relief. He couldn't just give up. Well, not right now at least. He had just one more option.

One more chance. His last chance to see them. His last chance to feel accepted. He jumped over the gate and felt hope as he saw that big barn. He ran with every step being just as painful but relieving as the last. His body told him to stop but his mind told him to just keep running. He couldn't give up until he was there. He went to the barn and opened one of the doors.

His hope vanished as he saw that there was no one inside. He fell to his knees. His mind finally agreeing with his legs that it was time. His last hope was gone. Maybe he was taken away, punished for the last time. Skeppy didn't want to think about the fact that Bad could be gone from his life forever. But he couldn't stop himself.

He took of his box, letting the tears fall freely onto it. It made it look like the box was crying too. The paint had already been smeared from the wet rocks near the river, but his tears made the paint smear in lines now. The box wouldn't be as good of use now that it was ruined. But what was the point in wearing it anyways when there was no hope. He threw it to the other side of the barn, making it bang against the wall.

The sound would probably attract someone to him, but he didn't care. It was finally time to give up. He would let that doctor inspect him, then he would be taken away every other day to be harvested. That was how fate was. And then he heard a creak of the door behind him. It was probably Jane coming to pick him up.

He turned around to look the person in the eyes. And when he saw them, his eyes opened wider and he could feel his sobs becoming heavier. The person fell down to Skeppy's height and hugged him. Skeppy leaned into the touch. His hope was right there.

"Geppy, I thought you left me." Bad said. Skeppy shook his head in the crook of Bad's shoulder. It was weird how neither of them acknowledged the fact that Skeppy's box was across the room. Their only focus was on the fact that the other was still there.

Bad had been the first to calm down and realize that it would be impossible to touch Skeppy's hair through a cardboard box. He looked down to see the back of Skeppy's head.

"Skeppy? What happened to the cardboard box?" Bad asked. Skeppy stayed against Bad, thinking about whether or not he really wanted  to show him. But Bad had the courage to show Skeppy his face, so he should do the same. Skeppy pulled away and looked at Bad with his diamond eyes. Bad looked at him in shock.

He grabbed his face and his glove was ripped slightly thanks to three shards on the right side of his face. But Bad didn't pull his hand away. Skeppy smiled at the thoughtful gesture. Or maybe Bad was just stupid, but it would be rude of him to assume that.