Feel Good Inc.

Song for the chapter: Feel Good Inc. by Cecila Pavey 

K didn’t return to the diner after that.

A part of Taylor surprisingly missed her presence. It was hard for Taylor to return to her usual self and she felt like she had to look over her shoulder everywhere she went. She wasn’t sure if she was looking out for K or the detectives.

There was also K’s weird confession and it kept Taylor up all night long trying to figure out just what she meant.

It didn’t make any sense to her; if K wanted her than why did she suddenly disappear?

After two weeks without any contact from K or the detectives, Taylor decided to put it all in a drawer and go on with her life. Her sad lonely life.

That’s how she found herself at a bar one Friday night with her boss.

“You look a little blue, kid.” Ed had inherited the diner from his father who also happened to be name Ed and was Taylor’s only friend.

Taylor sighed. “You ever wish you had done more with your life?”

“Sure I do!” He responded. “But the diner needs me.”

“Really?” Taylor was surprised, Ed loved the diner. “Like what?”

“Well when I was a teenager I always dreamed of being a singer. When pops died,  I had to quit to take over. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ed’s but singing is where my heart is.”

Taylor knew he had a gift with writing, when the diner was empty enough he would pull out his guitar and play a couple of his originals. Taylor always thought it was a hobby, she herself played the guitar for recreational purposes more than anything.  

“Then why don’t you sell and go follow your dreams?”

“Ain’t that simple sweetheart.” His smiled sadly at her. “I’ve got a duty as a Sheeran to run the diner. I’m the only son and my family worked hard to get that diner. Plus I wouldn’t fit in with the music scene now of days. I’m too old and not pretty enough.” He scoffed.

“But I’ve heard your stuff. You have a lot of talent!”

“What is this? Trying to buy the diner off me kid? Hate to break it to you, I’m not giving it up anytime soon.” He poked her arm.

“Sorry, I guess I’m projecting.” She said defeated.

“What’s wrong kid?”

“I don’t know, I guess it’s my life. There’s nothing exciting. I ran into a kid from high school, he’s a cop now and I bet his life is so exciting! He get’s to do all these exciting cases, chasing criminals. Heck! I bet even the criminals who held up the bank have more fun than me.”

“I bet they do but I also bet that none of them, cop or criminal, will live longer than 30. Your life is safe and practical. I bet you could have done something exciting if life hadn’t bit you in the ass. And that’s not your fault. Just the hand you’ve been dealt.” Ed tried to reassure her. “You had no power over what happened to you.”

“I know… I just feel like I’m going to kill myself if I’m stuck at the diner all my life. No offense! But it’s not exactly what I want to do my entire life.”

“Don’t worry kid, soon enough you’re going to find someone to swoop in and take you on an adventure.”

After a couple of beers they left; wondering around town, gossiping about one of the cooks.

“Hey!” Taylor pointed. “Let’s check out that club!”

“Dressed like this?” Ed pointed at his jeans and tee shirt.