Closer

Song for the chapter: Closer by Kings Of Leon

Introducing Karlie and Cara was a tough task for Taylor. She didn’t like lying to Ed but she couldn’t tell him the truth. She didn’t have to worry though, Karlie was a charmer and Cara had Ed laughing half way through her shift. She couldn’t remember the last time she had laughed so hard while on the job but it felt good and for the first time in forever she was truly happy.

Of course things got tense when Harry walked in.

“Oh, hello Detective. What can I get you?”

“I think I’ll try some of that pie, Niall couldn’t stop bragging about it so I decided to come and try a piece.” Taylor could tell he was lying but decided to ignore it, grinning she went and retrieved a slice for him.

“Coffee Detective?” She asked, placing the plate of pie in front of him.

“Yes please and it’s okay to call me Harry.” He winked at her. Once it would have made her swoon but now it just didn’t.

Cara and Karlie who remained silent began to quietly talk about a TV show Taylor thought she’s heard about before but never really paid attention to. Something about zombies.

“So any new developments on the case?” She leaned casually against the counter and she noticed his eyes flicker to the exposed part of her chest.

“Um, no.” He sighed, sipping on his cup of coffee and averting his eyes.

“Really?” She said with fake surprise. “They must be really good.”

He scoffed. “Too good. I was actually wondering if you remembered anything else. At this point any detail would help.”

“It’s been weeks and I’ve never been one to have a good memory. Sorry.”

His eyes widened slightly and she wondered if she had said anything wrong.

“That’s a shame.” He tsk’d. “Well recently we have gotten some new developments, not much. A grainy video of a deal going bad. Right now our analysts are going over some blood that we’ve found on the scene. One of the Dames were injured. We’re hoping to find some sort of information from it.” He shrugs.

Taylor see’s Karlie tense in the corner of her eyes.

“Well good luck.” She lies.

“Thank you.” He grins before his face darkens slowly and he leans in close, and whispers lowly. “Listen, you can tell me if anything is going on. If they’re threatening you in any kind of way we can get you to safety.” He places a hand on top of hers and squeezes it. “I swear I can protect you.”

Taylor was shocked by his words. Not knowing what to say, she leans in to kiss his cheek.

“I’m flattered Detective Styles but I’m okay.”

He pauses for a second before nodding. “You have my card.” He says simply. “And thank you for the pie. Niall was right, it is good. Have a nice day Taylor.”

She waves weakly as he steps out and Taylor slumps down on the counter.

“What was that all about?”

 A/N: Really short but I promised to update yesterday and didn't. I also have a case of really bad writers block so I sorta forced this chapter out. Sorry!

Thanks for reading! :)