Waiting Game

Song for the chapter: Waiting Game by BANKS

K didn’t return that night.

Taylor tried to not let it bother her, there were some nights when K wouldn’t show up. It usually meant she had a late night job, she never really explained it to her. That opened up a whole other can of questions Taylor had for K.

She also came to realize that she desperately wanted to know her name.

Obviously K wasn’t her real name and it bothered Taylor not knowing if it was an initial or nickname. She didn’t know what it could stand for. She hadn’t offered her another name, and each time Taylor called her ‘K’, she smiled an annoying little smile, like she knew something Taylor didn’t. Which was true, because Taylor had no idea what her name could be. At work she often found herself jotting down all the names starting with K on her order notebook.

Worry seeped into her when the third night without K came around.

She frustratingly had to fight the urge to call the police for help. She cursed K for making her worry so much and for being a wanted criminal.

Taylor didn’t want to admit why she so strongly started to care for K’s well being. She often forgot that K was the same girl who held a gun to her in a robbery. But how could she remember that when K looked like the cutest little thing when she slept on Taylors small little sofa. Realistically, Taylor should have stopped interaction with her when she first came into the diner. Taylor’s problem had expanded so much that she no longer could tell if her feelings for K were a good or bad thing.

Then there was the horrifying thought that maybe K simply was done with Taylor. Had Taylor pushed her away with her refusal to further their relationship? Had she found another more willing girl? Was she beautiful, confident, and dangerous?

Taylor cried herself to sleep on the fifth night, her face buried in the same pillow which faintly smelled like K. The smell was beginning to fade away and it made Taylor more upset.

The next day, Taylor called in sick and pathetically gorged herself in a tub of Ben & Jerry’s.

She tried to tell herself she was upset for the loss of her new friend.

But she knew K was more than just a friend.

-

A whole week passed and Taylor was sure she’d never see K again.

The Dames continued to pull off jobs but Taylor found herself muting the TV whenever they were brought up.

She was heartbroken, she realized.

K had become her best friend, her escape from her small sad life, and she had become her crutch. Now she felt out of balance and even more depressed than before. Her sunshine wasn’t around.

“You look like someone broke your heart kid.” Ed commented.

“I think someone did.” Was all she could respond before another costumer called for her attention.

After an eight hour shift, they closed the diner together. Taylor wrapped her coat tighter to her.

“It’s getting chilly.” She noted.

Ed nodded. “You want a ride?”

“I th-“

“Hey are you Taylor?” A dirty blonde haired girl approached them, dressed in all black.

Taylor looked at Ed in worry. “Yeah I am.” She stuttered out, the girl was beautiful and apart of her knew that this girl knew K.

“Come with me, K wants to see you.”

“K? Is she alright? I haven’t seen her for over a week.” Taylor began to worry, had something happened to K? Was that why she had stopped coming over?

“Don’t worry, she’s fine. She’ll kick my ass if I don’t get you to her though.”

Taylor kisses Ed’s cheek, “I gotta go check on my friend. See you tomorrow.”

“Okay, call me if you need anything.” He says, eyeing the girl curiously.

They get into a very nice looking black and Taylor almost giggles, she was picturing a van.

“What’s your name?” She asks as they drive off.

The girl ponders over the question, “Hm, C doesn’t sound as cool as K, and K did say we could trust you.” She murmurs. “I guess you can just all me Cara. My name by the way.”

“Nice to meet you Cara,” Taylor smiles at her. “And you can trust me.”

Cara side eyes her and Taylor begins to fidget.

“How’d K snag a cutie like you?” She wonders out loud.

“Excuse me?”

“I’ve never seen K so hung up on chick before.” She continues. “And her usuals are typically always bitchy, you don’t seem like a bitch to me.”

“I wouldn’t say I am?” Taylor says, unsure if she should be offended.

“I mean your seem like a nice girl. But you’re nothing at all like we pictured. K’s a pretty reserved gal and we could tell she was just smitten by you from the beginning but I don’t think any of us really understood until she was threatening blood if she couldn’t see you.”

“Why was she threatening you guys? Is she getting in trouble for staying with me?” Taylor bit her lip in worry.

“No nothing like that. Don’t try to stress over that. You’ll understand why when we get there and also, she’s worried you’ll be pissed at her. Can you try not to be too mad at her?” She asks sincerely. “K’s my best friend and trust me, I’d be pissed at her for going MIA on me like she did with you but she couldn’t help it. I know it’s confusing but you’ll understand in a bit.”

They drive into a dark alley way and Cara stops the van.

“We’re here.” She pulls the keys out of the ignition and unlocks the doors for them to exit. Taylor follows her to a door in the alley way where she pulls out another set of keys. “I was supposed to blind fold you but I don’t think you’ll go around telling people we’re here, right?”

She shakes her head and Cara smiles at her.

“Good. C’mon, lets not keep K waiting.” She says and swings the door open.

A/N: Hey Cara, I couldn't resist writing her in. 

And Oh-Oh. What happened to Karlie?

I'm in a writing mood so I might even post a third update, or I might go and update English Love Affair, my Caylor fanfic. 

Loving your reviews btw! Thanks for all your lovely responses. :)