A Month, A Day and A Realization

"I'm sorry that took so long!" Marinette called out as she opened the door to the apartment. She shook the black umbrella one more time in the hallway before propping it in the corner. Then she dropped her keys in the bowl and walked towards the living room as Tikki went off to find Plagg. "Adrien?" she called out, surprised that he didn't respond when she entered the apartment.

When she saw him on the couch, she stopped. He was sitting there with his elbows on his knees, his hands covering his face. He didn't look up at her. "Adrien?" she asked again, her heart sinking. "Are you okay?"

After a few seconds, he finally spoke. "Are you seeing Luka?"

Marinette froze. "What?" she asked hesitantly, hoping that she had misheard him.

Looking up, his tear filled eyes found hers. "Are you seeing Luka?" he repeated quietly.

For the first time in a long time, she stumbled over her words. "Ad... Adrien, I... uh, I..."

"I know you've been going to his apartment over the last couple of months."

She looked down, unable to maintain eye contact anymore. "I'm sorry," she whispered.

He scrunched up his face. "Are you having sex with him?" he asked, not really wanting to know the answer.

Very slowly she nodded her head.

There was complete silence for a minute before Marinette spoke. "I'm sorry Adrien, it just happened. I wasn't planning on it. I just ran into him a few months ago... and one thing led to another..."

Adrien suddenly stood up. He couldn't bear to listen anymore. "I love you Marinette. And I forgive you. We can still get married, but I need you to stop seeing him."

She shook her head. "I can't," she whispered.

"Please Princess," he begged. "I need you to stop. I can't stand the thought of him touching you."

"No, I... I meant that I can't marry you."

Another silence.

Marinette continued. "This relationship isn't working anymore Adrien. We've been drifting apart for years."

"We've just been busy lately. That's all it is. We're not drifting apart..."

"Yes we are. The love that used to be between us is gone. Now you only want to marry me to get back at your father for all the horrible things that he did."

"That's not true. I'm in love with you," Adrien argued through the tears. He let them fall as he approached her. Then he tried to reach out to her, only for her to step back. "Please don't do this, Marinette," he cried.

"I... I have to. Because..." She looked down again. "Because I'm pregnant," she finished with a whisper.

Silence.

"I'm sorry," Marinette continued, trying not to cry. "I just found out. And obviously it's Luka's."

It took a minute for Adrien to respond. "I don't care. Marinette, I don't care that it's Luka's. I love you so much, and I'll love the baby too. No one has to know. Everyone will think that it's mine and we'll be a family..."

She shook her head. "You're a great person Adrien, but this isn't your responsibility. You deserve better than this." Reaching over, she took off her engagement ring and held it out to him.

With his heart shattering, he took it from her.

"I'm going to stay at my parents place tonight," Marinette continued. "I'll come by tomorrow to pick up my things."