~ Chapter 11 ~

Zara was up earliest. She headed to the 'kitchen' and made a cup of coffee. She sat on a sandy bit of land by a lake thingy and watched the sunrise. She smiled a bit as she took a sip of coffee and the orange, yellow sunlight tinted her face.  She let her feet dangle in the lake and made shapes in the water. 

When the sun had fully risen, she got up and walked back to her 'room.' She did her hair and brushed her teeth. She was still the only one awake so she had to be quiet. She prepared herself for the day ahead. Their plan was to go to WCKD headquarters and get Minho back. 

She put a knife in a pocket she made in her shoes, two guns, one in her back pocket and another strapped to her arm with a second knife. She was not about to be bitten or killed by another crank. 

She was sitting outside sharpening her knives when she heard someone come out and sit next to her. 

"Hey" Fry said

"Hi" She smiled and focused on sharpening her knives so she wouldn't cut herself.

"Today's gonna be rough, sure you can keep up?" He asked

"Why do you ask?" She paused her sharpening and looked at him

"Just because you know, your a girl, young, gotta be harder" He said. She raised her eyebrows at him and looked at him

"Was the fact that I'm a girl needed or relevant?" She asked

"Well i mean guys are just generally stronger than girls-"

"I'm done with this conversation" She said and got up and took her tools with her. She finished sharpening her knives and checking amo inside. She went out to the cars after everyone was awake and checked the tyres and everything. The last thing that was going to happen was a stupid malfunction fucking up the whole mission. 

Thomas and Newt apparently went off into a crank tunnel so Brenda, Jorge and Zara were on their way to save them. 

"Seriously though when you see a dark tunnel that says 'don't enter' Why would you enter unless you want to die?" Zara asked as she sat in the back seat holding a gun ready. They were about to go in to save Thomas and Newt from potentially dying. 

They saw a bunch of cranks surrounding a car. Zara's breath hitched when she saw just how many cranks there were. Before she knew it, the car had rammed straight through all the cranks and Thomas and Newt had jumped in the car. 

They were speeding through the tunnel, occasionally swerving left and right to throw cranks off the car. 

They had come to a stop a fair few miles away from the tunnel. 

The hole time Zara was hunched in a ball with her eyes shut tight. She was deadly scared of dangerous car movements. Whenever a car would swerve or almost tip over, she saw her life flash between her eyes. 

"Zara how you holding up back there?" Jorge asked

"mhm fine!" She squeaked in a high tone. 

He chuckled and got out. They all got out and took a deep breath. That's when Zara recognised where they were. 

"Holy shit" She whispered

"Language Hermana" Jorge reprimanded but she was too transfixed on the sight before her.

It was a city full of skyscrapers and smoke was rising in areas. It was surrounded by tall grey walls with the WCKD logo imprinted on the bottom right corner. 

"What is that?" Newt asked

"I read about it, it's the Last City. It's where the WCKD headquarters are. The one city kept alive, hence the name 'last city'" 

"That's where we need to go then" Thomas said

"Oh yeah cause those walls were designed for people just to go there" Zara responded

"Well then how are we meant to get in?" 

"there" She said pointing to an entrance that people rioting with signs were walking through.

They had jumped out the car and blended in with the crowd. 

"Stay close hermana" Jorge said and held on to Zara's shoulders to keep her close. She nodded but wasn't fully listening. She hadn't seen so many people and buildings like this since she was 11. Everything turned her head, other girls, boys, shops, LED lights, everything. 

Something odd caught her eye, men with hazmats on and guns were staring at them. Almost as if they were cornering in on them. 

"Uh Thomas, Newt, you might wanna see this" She said and tugged on Thomas' sleeve. They turned to see where she was looking and they all broke into a sprint. Zara managed to find herself separated from everyone else. She looked panicked from side to side, trying to find a familiar face. She saw one of the men running towards her. She ran as fast as she could but alas he was faster. He wrapped one arm around her waist and lifted her up. She was kicking and screaming. She elbowed him but he didn't budge

"PUT ME DOWN BUZZCUT BEETLE" she yelled and tried to bite him. He threw her in a van and she tried to push open the doors but they were locked. 

She started to hyperventilate as she was alone in an enclosed space being taken somewhere she didn't know by people she didn't know. 

The van finally came to a halt and the doors opened. 

"WHERE IS SHE?" She heard Jorge yell. She was pulled out of the van by buzzcut beetle man and shoved over to join the others. 

"Jorge she's here!" Brenda reassured him and he gave Zara a big hug. After checking everyone was there, Thomas stepped forward. 

"Where the hell are we and who the hell are you?" He asked

The buzzcut beetle sighed and removed his mask. 

Zara gasped.

"Gally" She whispered. All heads turned to her. 

"Your alive" She smiled as tears slowly made their way down her face

"I'm alive" He smiled back and opened his arms. She ran up to him and gave him a the hugest hug. He bear hugged her back and lifted her off the floor. 

"Nice to see you again z"