~ Chapter 14 ~

After Zara had gotten in bed, she took a deep breath and thought about all the things she's thankful for. 

I'm alive, i didn't become a crank, i have great friends, i have people who love me, i have food, a roof over my head..barely. C'mon Zara it's one birthday, chillax a bit, plus your too old for this shit now, grow up.

She closed her eyes to go to sleep but her mind instantly flooded with memories of her family before the flare, her 5th birthday. 10 years ago. Her whole family was sitting in their garden in the sun and singing happy birthday. The neighbours poked their heads over the fence and sang as well. Alec was there eyeing up the cake and her brother was getting ready to prank her by blowing out the candles. She couldn't have been happier at that time. God, how things have changed. I mean back then no one would've guessed that there would be a deadly disease that wiped out most of the planet and kids were being used as test subjects to find the cure.

"y/n, are you awake?" Gally asked as he entered the girls sleeping area

"Barely" She responded and rubbed her eyes as she sat up to face him

"Can we go outside to talk?"

"Depends"

"On what?"

"What do you want to talk about?"

"Your brother"

"Then no"

"Fine not your brother, let's catch up on all the years i've missed" He smiled and held out a hand

She got up and followed him outside. It was pitch black, she had assumed everyone had gone to sleep. Suddenly, fairy lights lit up the whole of the outside area, there was a table in the middle surrounded by everyone with beaming faces. There was a chocolate cake in the middle and a couple boxes on the table.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY" They shouted. She was so shocked she could barely form words

"You guys- you really really didn't need to do this. I mean seriously"

"We know how much birthdays mean to you, plus we all love you" Brenda said with a smile.

"C'mon let's sing happy birthday and then blow out the candles on your cake" Gally said and walked with Zara towards everyone else. 

They all sang happy birthday and then she blew out the candles and made a wish.

I wish that we all make it to the safe haven, all of us together and well

She smiled at the sight of everyone dancing and singing and a few tears filled her eyes

"You alright?" Thomas asked as he came up behind her and put and arm around her shoulder

"Yup, i'm just fine" She smiled and they went to dance. Their dancing was simply awful but it didn't matter

A few hours later people got tired and went to bed apart from Gally and Zara. They were sitting under the stars talking for a while.

"You really think he could be out there?" She asked

"I hope so, i really do" He responded

" i just don't see how"

"Well maybe he was put in a maze like me, he made it out and he's with WCKD now. If we go and see him we're getting him out of there"

"Promise?" 

"Promise.' They pinky promised and hugged

"I really did miss you" She said into his shoulder

"Missed you too Z" He responded. 

They both got sleepy and headed to bed.

The next morning, Zara gave Thomas a hoodie and new trousers to wear that she found in a spare room. All that was left to do was wait. 

"Let's hope the shank doesn't mess this up" Gally said.

"And how would he do that?" Newt piped up

"by getting his feelings in the way"

"fair enough" zara said as she bit her nails

Newt shot her a glare and she shrugged

"He has a fair point! We all know that Thomas has strong feelings for Teresa and it's not going to be easy for him to see her again and just walk away" She said as she pushed herself off from leaning against the wall.

Newt stayed silent because he knew she was right. They all did. 

A few hours later, Gally had come back with Teresa with a bag over her head. He tied her to a chair and took off the bag. 

She looked flustered and looked around perplexed. Her eyes landed on Zara for a moment and Zara wiggled her fingers at her as a sarcastic wave. 

"What's her problem?" Teresa asked, looking at her

"Whats my problem? Did you seriously just say that?" Zara said, standing up straight

"Whoa did you parents forget to give you your candy? No need to have a tantrum" She smirked

"you little bitch" Zara sneered and punched her in the face

"Ok that's enough!" Newt shouted trying to separate Zara from Teresa. 

"I think my problem is that because of you and your tattle telling little ass we're still here in danger trying to find our friends who die, also because of you. Your so fucking stupid!" She shouted at Teresa. 

"We could be safe and finally free from all of this shit but we're not BECAUSE OF YOU" She yelled. Everyone fell silent. Teresa seemed shaken. Who knew the 15 year old had such a big voice.

"Oh yeah nothing to say now huh?" 

"C'mon Zara i think you need to go outside and calm down" Thomas said trying to pull her outside

"Don't touch me. I'm calm" She muttered as she shook him off. 

She went and leant against the wall with her arms crossed. No one said anything for a little while

"No please, continue" Zara said, gesturing with her hand for them to continue talking to Teresa about their plan. 

"We need to get into WCKD and free Minho and all those other kids. And to do that we need you to get us in" Thomas said

"Well, not all of you" Gally said, picking up a knife

"ooh can i do it?" Zara asked

"No. No one is cutting her thumb off." Thomas said. Zara grunted and sat back down. 

"Do what you want to me, it's not going to work. Their going to know your in the building, you still have the trackers on you" She said

"Yeah, your gonna help us with that too" Gally said, once again picking up the knife.