~ Chapter 17 ~

The guards closed in on them and held them at gunpoint. Suddenly one of the guards turned on the others and shot them all. Newt, Thomas, Zara and Minho all shared confused looks until the guard pulled off their helmet to reveal Gally. 

"Well thank god for you" Zara smiled and gave him a hug. They had little time to get out of there. They ran through the town and ducked when the odd bomb went off. 

"Anyone know how Brenda and the kids are doing?" Gally asked. They shook their head and shrugged as they checked to see if it was clear to move. They were running from one building to the next when Zara heard something. 

"Why did you stop?" Minho asked her. She put a finger up to signal him to be quiet. She squinted her eyes to see in to the distance and saw a huge crowd of people shouting and charging down the streets.

"Get down!" She shouted and they ducked behind a tree. They waited out the crowd and stayed silent. Zara looked over at Newt to see him coughing and spluttering. 

"Hey, hang in there ok? We'll get you the cure as soon as we find Brenda" She smiled and patted his shoulder. He tried his best attempt at a smile and coughed some more as he leant his head back.

"Right let's move!" Thomas signaled everyone to move left until they came to the rooftop of a building. 

Zara looked behind to see Newt barely able to hold himself up. She ran over and put his arm over her shoulder. She tried as best as she could to drag him along with her.

"Guys! This isn't going to work" She breathed as she stood with Newt leaning against her. 

"What do we do?"

"We need the cure, now" 

"Ok listen, you guys run as fast as you can to get the cure from Brenda, i'll stay here with Newt to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid, plan?" Zara said

"I'm not leaving you alone with him. If he goes into full crank mode he'll kill you" Thomas said

"Fine then you stay here with us and Minho and Gally can you go as fast as you can and get that cure please" She sighed. They nodded and ran off. 

She turned around to Newt and sat him down. She checked her watch and drummed on the floor nervously. She heard commotion and saw Newt and Thomas fighting. Thomas flung a gun away from Newt and Zara ran to pick it up. 

She aimed it at them

"Step away from each other. Now or I shoot" She said. The bit of human left in Newt listened and stepped away. Thomas too stepped back. 

She saw the brown in Newts eyes disappear and switch back to black. He saw the gun in her hand and charged after her. He knocked her to the ground, causing the gun to fly out of her hand. He put a knife to her neck and pressed down. Thomas tried to get him off but he was too strong. Zara managed to roll him over and grab the knife from him. The brown eyes were back. 

"Please Tommy, Zara, please" He begged, putting the knife in her hand. She took it and stood up. 

"No. No way, we are giving you that cure and getting you out of here. Just hang on for a few minutes, please." She said. He charged at her again and grabbed the knife. She was trying to get it back when it plunged into her stomach. She gasped as she stumbled back, looking down at the knife, then back at Newt with wide eyes. He stood back in shock and Thomas was staring in disbelief.

"Zara! Stay with us, please" Thomas begged as she fell to the floor, blood coating her shirt. She whimpered in pain.

"Thomas" She whispered

"Yeah" He said while distracted by trying to compress the wound around the knife. 

"I'm 15 years old. I don't want to die" She said as a few tears fell down her face.

"Your not going to die. I promise we are getting to the safe haven together" He said. Newt was just staring, anger and sadness written on his face. 

Gally, Minho and Brenda ran up from the stairs with the cure. Minho darted up to Newt and injected him with the cure. 

Brenda and Gally stopped when they saw Zara on the floor, whimpering in pain with a knife in her stomach. 

"Zara! what the hell happened?" Brenda shouted to Thomas as she ran over and tried to help with the wound. Gally knelt down next to her and put her head on his lap. He spoke to her to try and keep her awake.

Her vision became blurry as she swayed her head to the side

"No Zara your staying awake. C'mon you're not leaving us. I'm not letting you" Gally said as he held her head straight and brushed her hair out of her face.

"We need to get her to Jorge and the others in the burg. This t-shirt isn't going to work for much longer" Brenda said as she finished wrapping Minho' shirt around Zara's stomach. 

"Ok Zara just work with us here. We're going to try and carry you to the others. Try not to move as much as possible" Brenda said. She nodded slightly as a tear fell down her face

Gally wiped the tear and smiled at her reassuringly as he helped pick her up. She grunted in pain at the sudden movement. 

She became dizzy and her vision clouded over, her eyes slowly closed and everything went black.

~

"Lay her down here" Jorge ordered as they brought her to the burg. They laid her on the floor and Vince came out with his first aid kit. Zara was still unconscious but not dead yet. Brenda and Jorge sat nervously waiting for Vince to fix her. 

"Ok i need hands at the ready. I'm going to pull out the knife and i need you to compress the wound immediately after ok?" Vinced ordered at Minho, Gally and Thomas. Newt wasn't talking to anyone. He sat at the back away from everyone else and looked on at the ground, blaming himself for the present events. 

Vince had stitched up the wound after cleaning it. Now they had to wait to see if she woke up.

A few hours later she opened her eyes and looked around at her surroundings. 

"Hey, hey your ok. Just relax a bit" Brenda jumped up when she saw Zara was awake. 

"Here, take this, it'll help with the pain" Vince said as he handed her some medication. She nodded and took it. 

"Newt, where's Newt" She muttered. 

"I'm here" He said as he walked forward and held onto her hand

"I'm so sorry. I'm really sorry i did this to you" He said

"Don't say that. It wasn't your fault. It was the stupid cranks. Your ok now though right?" She asked. He nodded his head and hugged her. 

She realised there was still one thing she needed to do. 

"Newt remember we said we were going to kill Janson" She whispered so no one else would hear. He nodded

"Still up for it?"

"Are you?"

"I'll be fine" 

"Let's do it"