~ Chapter 13 ~

There we police cars racing around the streets, signs alerting people of a curfew. Zara, Newt, Gally and Thomas ran behind a corner and stayed flat against a wall to hide from an oncoming car.

"They're high on they're security, don't suppose it's cause of you shanks" Gally said as he poked his head around the corner to check it was all clear. He gave them a thumbs up followed by a signal to follow him. 

They had climbed up the side of a building and made it to a balcony. They looked over the city in awe. Thomas and Newt had never seen anything like it as far as they remembered. 

"Holy moly" Zara whispered. She sighed and inhaled, as soon as she did she coughed

"You alright?" Gally asked

"Yup, the air is clearly not clean" She said in between coughs. 

"Yeah that's why half the people in this city wear masks, that and the deadly airborne virus." Gally explained. She rolled her eyes and then let a small smile creep up on her face. This gave her hope. A newfound hope that she didn't believe was possible to have. If they executed their plans correctly, maybe things could end up alright.

"So how are we meant to get in there?" Thomas asked, pointing to the WCKD labs

"I have an idea" Gally said handing him some binoculars. When Thomas zoomed in and saw what Gally was looking at, his face dropped.

"i said i had a plan, didn't say you were going to like it" He elaborated. 

"What is it" Zara asked. Thomas handed her the binoculars and she saw what they saw. Teresa. 

Zara's face subconsciously set in an angry expression. 

"Please can we kill her? I mean we don't really need her after she gets us in" Zara said

Thomas shot her a hard glare.

"Take that as a no then" She muttered. 

They headed back to where Frypan, Brenda, Jorge and everyone else was. 

Gally explained the plan to kidnap Teresa and get her to agree to get them in.

"Is there really no other way to get in? I mean why do we need her?" Thomas said. Zara knew exactly what he was doing. Newt did too. 

"Is this about protecting your little girlfriend?" Newt asked, his eyes dark. 

"This mission was never just about Minho for you was it? Because deep down your still in love with her" Newt said, standing up and facing Thomas. 

"Wait am i missing something? This is the same girl who betrayed us, same dick?" Brenda asked

"I like her" Gally said pointing to Brenda

"It's true isn't it Thomas" 

"No Newt-"

"Don't lie to me, DON'T LIE TO ME!" Newt shouted and was all of a sudden up in Thomas' face. They held a long stare before Newt realised what he was doing and stepped back

"sorry" He whispered. He then turned to everyone else and apologised again quietly before leaving. 

Zara knew instantly why that happened and followed him out.

She found him sitting on the ledge, his legs dangling over the edge. 

"Sorry you had to see that" He said, his eyes still trained on the sky. 

"Don't worry about it, i know how it feels, its uncontrollable" She said as she sat next to him. He turned to look at her in shock

"How did you know?" 

"I've been through it. I've noticed everything, the progressively rough coughs, the shaking in your arms, your eyes have even gotten a tad darker. Also that outburst" She said as she looked at him, waiting for a confirmation. 

"You won't tell anyone right?" He asked. She smiled gently and shook her head

"of course not, your secret is safe with me" She turned to fully face him and put up her pinky. 

"I pinky promise" He chuckled and linked his pinky with hers. Then unexpectedly, he pulled her into a hug. 

"Thanks Zara, your a really awesome 14 year old you know that?" 

"15" She whispered

"What?" 

"I'm 15"

"When did this happen?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion

"Today" She said quietly. She loved her birthdays, the parties, presents, cakes, but ever since they were on the run, she kind of gave up on it.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" He said, sympathy evident in his tone. 

"I  don't know, so much is happening right now, it's not even relevant anymore" She chuckled. She got up and held a hand out to Newt. He took it and stood up.

"Happy Birthday" He smiled

"Thanks" She'd been secretly dying to hear those words all day. 

When they re-entered the room everyone was sitting down, smiling and drinking. 

Newt and Zara joined the group and started talking and having a good time. This was possibly the last time of normality for a while. 

"What? It's your birthday?!" Gally jumped up and looked at Zara. She looked and saw Newt whispering sorry after having told Gally it was her birthday. Everyone looked at her in shock

"It's not a big deal, it's only 15 it's not like a special birthday or anything" She shrugged and smiled. 

"Hell no, we have to do something" Brenda said

"Hermana i'm so sorry i forgot, i've just been so wrapped up in everything"

"Honestly don't even worry about it" She said and took a sip of her drink. 

"You know i'm really tired actually, i'm just gonna turn in early" She said and headed to bed

"good night guys" She waved and went to her 'room' 

"No we are definitely doing something, Frypan you can cook right?"