A Butlers Choice 1

The day after attending the party.

I was summoned by the Marquis, the head of the Rosenberg house. Although I have had the opportunities to speak with him in the past, this was the first time I've ever been called to his office.

Considering the timing, the business he has with me must be related to the party. Wondering what he was going to say to me, I entered the room tensely.

A working room suitable for the head of a Marquis house– it seemed to be made with those expectations a visitor would have in mind.

Multiple paintings done by famous artists and antique furnishings were gathered here, while the shelves lined up against the walls were filled with books that were still considered popular to this day.

In the back of such a room, sitting behind an oppressive-looking desk, the Marquis continued to run his pen over a document despite having sent a glance my way.

Of course, as his servant I made no moves to interrupt him, and a few minutes after I decided to take that attitude, he suddenly put down his writing utensil.

"Hmm... you didn't try to call out to me."

"It was because I already knew that you were aware of me, Master."

If he had noticed me and still chose to continue his work despite that, then the documents he was processing had to be more important than our meeting. If I couldn't even understand that much and disturbed him, I'd be disqualified as a servant.

"Yes, that's a mistake that most newcomers make at least once. So you already understand that at your age? As expected of someone who received Cedric's recognition at the mere age of six."

Cedric was my father and the exclusive butler of the Marquis. When I passed the strict test he imposed, he gave his recommendation to have me apprentice as Lady Sophia's servant.

Although I gave acceptable results, my father's request could have only been seen as unreasonable from an outside perspective, and yet the Marquis still accepted his proposal even then.

Or maybe that's just how much trust they had in each other.

"You should know why I've called you here. Yesterday, you were given the important job of being Sophia's escort. Knowing that his son was chosen for that, Cedric was really proud of you."

"Thank you, but... I can't accept that praise. I was unable to fulfill the role given to me."

"Is this why Sophia had to leave half-way through the celebration?"

"Yes."

Yesterday, Lady Sophia didn't fall into darkness. On the contrary– at least on the surface, she had returned to her usual self as the daughter of a Marquis.

However, I got sick and we ended up returning home early.

I told her that I wasn't feeling good, but I didn't know the cause.

Although we left after completing the necessary greetings, leaving the prince's birthday party part-way was still a stigma. My actions had stained my lady's reputation.

"There's no need to worry about that. There are plenty children who don't stay until the end and leave early, so nobody would've minded Sophia's return."