School Faction Riot Part One 2

After leaving the store, we boarded the carriage and started our return trip to the Rosenberg estate in the capital, but the we were suddenly stopped mid-way.

"What happened?"

At this unexpected event I kept vigilant, and asked the driver through the window for a report. They responded with an apology and said that some children had suddenly jumped out in front of the vehicle.

"...some children? My lady, please wait here just in case."

"Cyril, what are you going to do?"

"I'm just going to check out the situation. Don't get off of the carriage until I say it's safe."

Just because they were kids didn't mean I should grow careless. While staying wary of the surroundings, I jumped off of the carriage.

As I was told, there were two young children crouching in front of the carriage. They looked like commoners, ones from the slums at that.

Although they looked malnourished, there didn't seem to be any visible injuries.

Having confirmed that there wasn't any immediate danger, I turned my eyes to scan the surroundings. This craftsman's street didn't have many pedestrians– but I detected some presences from a nearby alley.

I didn't feel any hostility from them, but they seemed to be watching us.

The children had stopped the carriage and I had been lured out. If they were going to attack, then they would've already done so by now, meaning that their target was–

"Hey, are you two alright?"

When I tried talking to them, the kids shuddered. Shaking as they held each other, they were a boy and girl around ten years of age. If they weren't acting, then they must be considerably frightened of something.

"Can you understand my words?"

"A-are you our enemy?"

"At the very least, I don't remember being one."

"T-then, you're different from those people who were following us?"

"Yes, let's go with that."

With those words, the presence of those who were watching over the situation started to disappear. There were still some there, but at least it didn't look like they were going to charge out at us.

If their aim was the children, they must've wanted to avoid the risks of getting involved with the nobility.

"So there's some people chasing you, why?"

"T-that's–"