The Student Council's Touchstone 1

One day, several days after being invited to the student council room, I was currently training Roy and Emma in the courtyard of the capital city's Rosenberg estate.

Holding a sword at his side, Roy started dashing towards me. At that moment, the outline of his figure blurred– no, Emma was hiding behind him and had jumped out to flank me.

The boy swung his sword at me head on, while his sister lunged at me from the side with her dagger. As expected of siblings, they were perfectly in sync.

However, they were still inexperienced.

Stepping into Roy's range on purpose, I disrupted his swing while deflecting it elsewhere. The redirected sword ended up obstructing Emma's charge, and I took that moment to land a blow on her brother's vitals as well.

At the exact moment Roy fell to his knees, Emma avoided his blade and jumped in to make her attack– but now that they weren't coordinating to pincer me, her strike was full of openings.

Catching her wrist, I then proceeded to twist her arm upwards, pressing her own dagger against her neck.

"That's the end."

"I'm not done yet, Master!*"

I couldn't help but sigh as I saw Roy bounce up from his knees to continue.

"Wrong."

Taking Emma's dagger from her, I swiftly went through the motion of slitting her neck before intercepting Roy's charge and throwing him a short distance away. Now sprawled across the ground, I pressed the blade against the boy's neck as he lay on the grass. 

"Now both you and Emma are dead. I thought I taught you that careless resistance will only increase casualties. Being reckless isn't the same as not giving up."

"Ugh..."

Still lying on the ground, Roy turned his gaze away.

"B-but... if I didn't do anything, isn't there a chance the assailant will kill the mistress?"

"...I see. So that's the reasoning behind your actions?"

Our current training session was based on the premise of being my lady's bodyguards. Therefore, there were rules set in place to match the situation.

Though I didn't explain to them what would happen if they were defeated.

"As her bodyguard, I appreciate your willingness to protect the mistress to the end. However, there's no point if you end up sacrificing yourself to do so. Adapt to the circumstances given to you to make the best choice."

"The best choice?"

Roy blinked his green eyes.