Chapter Five

MILES slowly chewed the strawberry donut that his father had just given him coming from a convenience store that has caused them to be a few minutes late to the school, depending on time.

Miles was sitting in the back of his father's police car, holding the pale pink frosted donut in his left hand, looking out the window curiously, looking at the sights that his father drove by. 

He glances at the front seat, seeing his dad look so focused on driving, his dark eyes on the road at all times. Seems like he was taking this job seriously. 

"So Miles," Jefferson said, breaking the silence that was hanging around the air of the car. Miles tore his look away from the window to see his dad's eyes looking at him from the rearview mirror. Once they got to a red stoplight, Jefferson turns his head to the side to face Miles.

Miles gives him a look telling his father that he was listening.

"Look, I know you don't want to go to this school, but you'll like it, trust me. It's better for you, and you can make more friends." once the red light goes green, Jefferson turns back his eyes to the road.

Miles mentally rolls his eyes getting tired of the fact that his father kept mentioning the same thing repetitively, making it more annoying the second his dad mentions it. He decides to keep quiet, not wanting to continue the long conversation that had been going on for way too long.

Licking the strawberry frosting off his fingers, he glances back outside the window of the car, his eyes slightly closing and opening from being so worn out. He had a bad urge to close his eyes and drift off to sleep in the snap of a finger, but he forced his eyes to stay open.

He adjusted himself, now sitting up and not slouching from his position, and he looked back at the front window of the car, watching his dad drive. As the drive seemed to grow longer and more persistent, then they were finally at Miles's school. 

Miles's eyes widened, knowing he was arriving at school. He looked out the window and saw his school's name written across the glass panels, " Visions Academy", showing his new private school. He looked around and saw students, male and female, walking around with clothes similar to his, but instead, the females had skirts instead of pants like the other males.

Miles looked out the window in awe, thinking the complete opposite of what his school would be like. Then he noticed the car come to a stop right in front of the school doors, where some students were entering, their heads craned towards the direction where their friends were.

Some students were looking back at the police car that had just pulled up peculiarly, tilting their heads in curiosity.

"We're here, Miles," Jefferson said as he reached a hand towards the key, turning off the ignition in the car, causing the cool air that was venting to stop.

"I love you, Miles," Jefferson said as Miles graciously ignored him.

Miles reached over to the side of the car, grasping the handle and pulling it forward, opening the car door. He then could hear all of the students talking, and he looked around as he stepped out of the car door, stepping out onto the pavement.

He walked around the car, reaching the rear end of the car and hooking his fingers underneath the groove on the handle, causing the car to automatically open, exposing the trunk. Miles reaches over and grabs the handle of his suitcase, heaving it out of the car and onto the road.

Miles reached an arm up and pressed the button on the trunk, then causing it to close as Miles pulls the handle of the suitcase and pulls it onto the pavement of the school. Miles doesn't even bother to say goodbye to his dad, so he walks up to the stairs leading to the building. 

He didn't want to watch his father drive away, so before he could even reach the steps, he heard a slight screeching noise that sounded like his father's siren.

"You got to say I love you back, Miles." he heard his father's voice, but it sounded ten times louder. Miles cringed and he turned around to face his father, having his window pulled down and holding a speaker in his hand, the other busy tapping onto the driving wheel.

"Dad, are you serious?" Miles looked at his father with embarrassment in his expression.

"I want to hear it." his father said, a smirk playing across his lips and raising an eyebrow as if he was knowing he was embarrassing his son. Miles visibly rolled his eyes and was already feeling his ears start to burn.

"You want to hear me say what?" Miles said, gripping his suitcase handle tighter than he should have.

"I love you, Dad," Jefferson said, a hint of a joking manner disguised in his voice. 

"You're driving me all the way to school-"

"I love you, Dad." 

"Look at this place." 

"Dad, I love you." 

Miles nervously looked around as some students were no longer conversating and they were exchanging glances between him and his father. Some were smirking, and some were, unfortunately, holding up phones, the light on, indicating that they were recording.

Miles tilts his head back and sighs of annoyance. He rolls his eyes again and then tilts his head back up to look at his father. 

"Dad, I love you." Miles then says, shrugging his shoulders at his father, clearly annoyed at him making fun of him like this. 

"That's a copy," Jefferson says, and then hangs up his speaker and rolls up his window. After a second, he drives away, leaving Miles flustered and students snickering and some laughing and pointing at Miles.

He huffs and rolls his eyes.

Today should be just great.