Chapter Fourteen

IT WAS MONDAY ALREADY. MILES AWOKE to the sharp sunlight shining through his blinds and he groaned. He was back in his dorm, he had moved back in the dorm Sunday and he had spent Sunday unpacking. He pulled his covers over his head, not wanting to get up, but he knew he had to get up. His alarm hadn't gone off yet, so he had a little time before classes began.

Come on Miles, get up. A loud voice echoed in his head. He fell out of his bed from hearing the voice, and he grunted as he got up. Why is the voice in my head so loud? Miles thought as the thought echoed in his head. Miles picked up his phone which was charging on the dresser. The time read 7:32, meaning he had until 9:00, which was when school started. Miles yawned and did a small stretch.

Miles was still in his clothes from Sunday, he had entered the dorm and crashed after he had unpacked. Ganke was playing video games in the far corner of the room, eating a breakfast burrito he must have gotten from downstairs. Miles opened the drawer and grabbed his uniform from a pile of bundled clothes and walked into the bathroom. He flipped on the light and threw the clothes onto the floor.

Miles undressed and turned the knob on the shower. Miles took a shower and decided to take his time. He was in no rush. He began humming to a song that he had listened to lately, and he danced a little as he washed. Once he was done showering, Miles realized he left his pants back in the room once he dried off. After freshening up with some deodorant, Miles slipped on his shirt and some undergarments and walked out of the bathroom, his old clothes in his arms. He put his old clothes in a hamper and he grabbed his pants from his drawer.

As he stepped in his pant legs, he struggled to pull them up. He kept attempting to pull them up but they wouldn't budge. What the heck? He thought. That's weird... My pants shrank. "I think I reached puberty," Miles said, thinking out loud and regretting it. He looked over at Ganke and Ganke was looking at him strangely. Ganke turned back around and continued playing video games. Miles felt his face tint red from embarrassment and he managed to pull up his pants to his waist after a couple of tries. As he suspected, they did not fit at all. I should have kept that to myself. Miles thought as he pulled on some socks and shoes.

Miles sat on his bed and looked at the back of his hand. The spot where the spider had bitten him was fine. There was nothing wrong with it, so it wasn't that. Maybe he had reached puberty. Or he needed new pants.

.....

MILES STRUGGLED to keep his pants down as he walked down the hall. It was 8:45, fifteen minutes until school started. He tried to walk a certain way to keep his pants down, trying not to humiliate himself, but it was sort of working. Miles was stuck with the pants he had since the school was out of extras since he had gone up to the office and asked for a pair.

I have to get new pants. These are way too small, Miles thought as some students were staring at Miles as he continued to walk down the hall. He still didn't get why his thoughts were so loud. Other students were chattering at their lockers, noticing Miles and whispering. He kept walking, turning around to face them.

"Nothing's wrong here, just a regular old student-" Miles then tripped over his untied shoelaces, and he bumped into someone. He turned around, ready to apologize when he saw it was Gwanda.

...

GWEN SHUDDERED when a cold breeze blew by. She was laying down on a bench, her backpack clutched against her chest, containing her web-shooters, books, her charger for her phone, and her suit. As the night carried on, the temperature got crazily cold, and she was freezing. The only thing she had on was her uniform from Visions.

She didn't have a dorm yet, because they were so full. Visions had a lot of talented people in there, and they told her she could stay at home. But there was no home to stay at. Not here, anyway.