Chapter Twenty-One

MILES RAN DOWN HIS STREET TO HOME.  After hours of searching, seeing if Gwen was anywhere, he gave up and he wanted to go home. Today was too much for him and he didn't want the stress of school stacking up on what had happened.

As Miles had been walking around New York, the news of Spider-Man being dead had broken out, showing his real name was Peter Parker, saying that he died from the 'earthquake' that had happened earlier when Kingpin had activated the collider. Miles had still been shaken up from the event, hearing the sounds of Peter's death still echoing in his head and the memories flashing. 

Miles had finally reached his house, the sun already beginning to beam and shine through the clouds. Miles had left his key in his dorm room, so he had to knock on the door. He had to wait two beats before his mother entered the door. 

"Miles?" she said, opening the door. Light bags were under her eyes, and her hair was curlier and wet, wearing her robe. Miles hugged his mother the second she opened the door. She kissed his hair.  "What's wrong, mijo? Aren't you supposed to be at school?"

"I don't want to be at school," Miles said, his voice cracking more than he wanted it to. Rio clicked her tongue and sighed as she opened the door to bring Miles in and closed it.

"What happened, mijo? Are you okay?" Rio asked, grabbing Miles's chin as she looked him in the eyes. "Why are you hurt?" 

Miles sniffed as he couldn't bring to tell his mother the truth. She would freak out, and his father would freak out more. 

"Bullies again, Mama... They made fun of me, for being black," he said, knowing that bullying wouldn't be the reason he looked so broken inside, but he convinced his mother, as her face looked concerned to sympathetic. 

"No mi bebe..." she said, hugging him as Miles held back crying, but he couldn't stop the tears. All he wanted was to stay home and never go out again, to just be with his mother. Wrapped in her arms, her telling him it was going to be okay, when it never was going to be. 

...

MILES HAD GONE TO BED AND FELL ASLEEP from the exhausting events of earlier. He opened his eyes, after falling asleep, but not being able to stay asleep before long as the events of what had happened flashed in his head. He turned his head, facing his alarm clock, which had read to be ten o'clock in the morning. Miles sighed, bunching up his covers and hugging it.

He was never meant to be like this, to have powers and to have lost two people in one night. His mother had asked a few questions about what happened, and then she spent time with him before she had to go to work. Miles's father was already at work, so Miles was home alone. 

Miles sat up in his bed, every part of his body aching. He had no desire to get up, but he made himself do it anyway. He walked over to the door of his bedroom and opened it, walking downstairs to the living room being full of light from outside.

Miles rubbed his eyes as he sat on his couch, grabbed the remote and turned on the television that sat on a wooden television stand. The television came to life as a news reporter, a woman slim and fair skinned was holding a microphone as text ran along the bottom of the screen. The Headline above the text read: "NEW YORK'S HERO, SPIDER-MAN, FOUND DEAD AT 26," with a picture with Spider-Man with the mask on and him as Peter. 

"-and reports say that our own dear Spider-Man, now Peter Parker, had died battling the Green Goblin as the earthquake hit, burying him in debris. Wilson Fisk had provided this information, as he was strewn into the accident as well, finding Spider-Man and both Green Goblin dead."

Miles groaned in annoyance when he saw a picture of Kingpin appear on the screen. 

"Why is that guy everywhere? Just because he's rich doesn't mean he has to have his face everywhere," Miles said, rolling his eyes. "He's the reason Spider-Man's dead, not some stupid earthquake." 

Just as Miles was about to turn off the TV, the reporter said something that caught his attention. 

"Later this morning, we have reports that Mary Jane Watson, wife of Peter, is holding a funeral ceremony in his honor, today in Times Square. Please wear something that represents Spider-Man in his honor. I'm Karen Wilson and this has been-" Miles turned off the TV, cutting him off. 

Maybe while I wait for Mom and Dad to get back, I should at least attend his funeral. He would do the same if I died that night...

Miles glanced towards the kitchen, the light on and some things were still out, guessing his mom had made breakfast for herself before she left.

Nah, I'm not hungry. I'm just going to take a shower and go to the funeral.

Miles got up from the couch and then walked towards the stairs, walking past the kitchen and seeing something wrapped on the counter, but Miles walked up the staircase. Halfway there, the curiosity bit at him so he sighed, walking down the stairs and walked to the kitchen, seeing something weirdly shaped. Cream cheese and bagels were out, a butter knife sitting across the lid of the cream cheese. 

Miles saw a note, and he squinted at it, as it was written in small advanced cursive. 

The note read, 'I know that you're not sad enough over los matones estúpidos to ignore your favorite breakfast. Enjoy mijo. ~Mama'

Miles smiled for the first time in a while. "Mama, you're the best," he said to himself, unwrapping the paper towel to see two bagels decorated in cream cheese. Miles ate them both hungrily, then threw the paper towel out as he raced back up the stairs to take a shower.