Chapter 10: First Time Away

Ellie’s POV

“Dad, I’m going out. I’ll be back in an hour or so.” I said as I walked through my kitchen to see my father sitting at the table reading the paper. He just gave me a grunt, not looking up from the article he was reading. He knew I was going to see Niall and he clearly wasn’t happy about it. I just sighed and grabbed my house key and phone before walking out the house.

It had been a week since my whole ordeal that ended with me crying to Niall and then falling asleep on him. I have to say one of the most embarrassing moments of my life, but surprisingly Niall was fine with it. When I woke up he just smiled at me and then jokingly reprimanded me for making him have to wait to eat. He even invited me to stay and eat with them, and acted like everything was the same. I knew the boys were suspicious and curious as to what was wrong with me and what had happened between us, but Niall gave nothing away and didn’t tell or make me tell them anything. It was our secret as long as I wanted it to be, he told me.

I couldn’t thank him enough for that.

Since then we had been talking even more than we had before that. I could tell he was struggling to make more time to spend with me and it made me feel… great. Knowing he cared about me that much. I knew that pity probably played a little role in it all, but I tried to ignore that. He was my friend and I enjoyed spending time with him and the others. It got my mind off of things whenever I stepped foot into their penthouse, or had Niall or one of the others greet and hug me.

But today they had to leave town for the first time on their little promotional trip here. They were heading over to New York for four days. I was heading to the penthouse to spend a little time with them before they left. It was only going to be for four days, but knowing my Dad had chemo twice in those four days and not having Niall within walking distance was kind of scary. I needed him.

Yeah, I know. I’m weak.

I was growing nearer to the hotel so I quickly texted Niall, telling him to come down and let me up. I hit the send button and turned into the alley that led to the back entrance way, walking quickly and keeping my head down.

I turned a corner, the back door coming into view. I didn’t slow my pace, just focusing on getting up there to spend the last little time with my friends before they left for a bit.

I nearly had a heart attack when someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me back into them covering my mouth. I shrieked into their hand and thrashed a bit trying to get them to let go, fear consuming me. I stopped when I heard the all too recognizable laugh.

I’m going to kill him.

I gave one last shove, knocking him backwards and spun around to see Niall laughing hysterically, his shades hiding his eyes that I’m sure were glistening with amusement. That little prick.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?!” I screeched.

“Shhhh!” He commanded through his laughs. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms walking away from him and towards the door.