Chapter 8: Step One

Niall’s POV

“So Niall,” the interviewer said turning to face me. I looked up from my lap so my eyes met hers. I had been a bit antsy this entire interview, dreading a certain question.

“What is this article from last week about here?” She asked turning and pointing to a screen behind us with the news article about me saving Ellie on it.

There it was.

I swallowed nervously. So badly did I want to say that it was just a pap taking a picture and twisting the story around to make me seem like a hero when I really wasn’t. Yeah it would have been lying, but then I wouldn’t be deceiving Ellie’s trust. I had promised her I’d keep this on the down low. But I couldn’t. Not with Michele breathing down my neck.

“Well according to the article I saved that girl’s life.” I stated with a small smirk. I knew that’s not what she was asking for. She wanted to know if it was real or not.

“Well I can see that, thank you. I think what everyone wants to know is if it’s true.” She laughed a bit. I shifted in my seat, my comfort level dropping and my nervousness increasing.

Play along Niall. Michele’s words rang in my head. I sighed heavily. I just really hoped Ellie wasn’t watching. I never told her what channel the interview was going to be on even though she had asked. It had been a little over a week since the day I saved her. We hadn’t really seen each other much since the day she came over to the hotel although we texted or called every day. The lads and I had some work to do starting the Monday after the incident and I had only managed to get together with her once last Friday. It wasn’t even for long. She had to run errands for her father and ended up walking over to the hotel on her way back without him knowing. She talked the lads and I for an hour or so before I walked her home, wanting to spend as much time with her as possible. I wasn’t sure why exactly, other than the fact that she had become very important to me over the ten days I have known her. All I know is she’s the quickest friend I’ve made in my life. And I feel like I’m closer to her than I am to half of my other mates.

“Uh… yeah, that’s the truth.” I answered finally. “I was walking down the street and I saw her. She wasn’t paying attention to where she was walking and there was a car coming. I didn’t really think twice about it before I grabbed her and pulled her out of the way. And uh… that was when that picture was taken.” I explained trying to keep my voice calm and level. The interviewer nodded.

“I see. Well Mr. Horan it appears you are a bit of a hero, now aren’t you?” she said. The crowd erupted into applause and cheers as did the interviewer, Louis, and Harry. I shot them both glares.

“Anyone could have done it; I was just the one that acted the quickest.” I said, my cheeks turning red from the sudden attention.

“Oh, but wait now… it seems more than just that has come out of this. Is it true that you have kept in touch with this girl?” the interviewer asked. I swallowed. How could she know already? I had been careful recently to not expose Ellie quite yet.

“Well it appears you already know the answer to that question.” I shrugged, not wanting to say yes if she had no proof or say no if she did have proof and then I’d be caught lying on public television.

“Well someone took this picture of you on Friday.” She said and turned back to the screen. I looked up and it was a picture of me with my hood up and shades on my face walking down the street with Ellie at my side, holding a few bags in her hands. Despite my covered face, it was still easy to tell I was laughing by my bright smile as I was looking down at Ellie beside me. He red hair was shining in the sunlight and flew in front of her face from the wind. Her eyes were light blue in the light, shining with amusement as she looked up at me with a smirk on her face. It was a great picture, I had to admit. I had no idea how they managed to take it though, without me knowing. It was when I was walking her home on Friday and I even remembered what we were laughing at.