15

Inner Palace Throne Room

Empress Ruyi Khang

Ruyi covered her mouth as she stealthily eavesdropped. She could hear their voices inside the throne room, arguing. From where she stands, she could guess there were five people inside.

"A man in the harem would cause an uproar in the citizens!" Ruyi recognized the voice belonging to the prime minister.

"He's right your imperial majesty. The royal family image will be tainted with such blasphemous information" This time it was a woman's voice, Ruyi guessed it was one of her mother's loyal confidants.

Blasphemous? Now they think she's a god? Ruyi thought, utterly disgusted.

She tried to move closer, sharpening her senses to hear a little more as the crowd inside began to lower their voices.

"I do not understand why would you announce this to the public your highness"

"We shall not agree with you this time!"

"Enough!" The voice of none other then the empress dowager exclaimed. Her authority silencing even the birds that chirped outside.

"How dare that man step within my premises in the first place. He deserves it. Just like all of his kins!" Ruyi frowned. She understood long ago about the feud between the Li dukedom and her mother. The power struggle between the two, with whoever coming out as a victor having full commands on the law.

Everything Ruyi heard made her look down at the floor thoughtfully. Ere long she would've ignored her mother's antics. It was not within her nature to involve herself and disrupt the peace she lived in but this time was an exception. Someone she deeply cared about was involved. Someone whom she valued was at risk. Ruyi couldn't keep a blind eye to it. Not anymore.

I wouldn't let anyone touch even a single strand of hair from the Noble Lady's head. Not under my watch.

Ruyi promised, gritting her teeth as she continued to listen.

The Li Dukedom's downfall did not pass the history books. The empress dowager was so proud of her work it was written in many pages, every single detail of how they all lost power yet leaving out the fact that it was her doing and instead replaced by lies that even if the souls of those have past rested their name shall continue to be shamed upon by anyone who learns about them.

Suddenly, silence had fallen catching Ruyi's attention. Alarmed by the suddenness she barely had time to escape as the door suddenly opened.

"What are you doing there my darling?" The empress dowager asked. Eyes casting a suspicious look towards the empress. Ruyi calmly composed herself and plastered a gentle smile as she lowered her head, respectful acknowledging her mother's presence.

"I was about to knock mother but looks like you were right when you said you can sense your children nearby, a mother's instinct correct?" Ruyi asked.

The empress dowager remained silent, eyes staring straight into Ruyi's dark brown orbs. She was suspicious of her but when Ruyi only tilted her head curiously the empress dowager let out a chuckle.

"Oh dear child you still remember what I had told you when you were still little"

"How could I ever forget mother's teachings? Never" Ruyi exclaimed earning another set of chuckles from the empress dowager.

"To cut to the chase. Mother I am here to inform you that I'll be out of town for a short while".

As soon as the words left Ruyi's mouth the people inside the throne room all reverted their gazes towards her.