16

Butterfly Pavilion

Today, Jin noticed the change in the emperor's demeanor. He was quiet. Unassertive. And most importantly, he wasn't bothering him, at all. It was concerning.

Jin was aware when the empress and emperor had a secret talk behind his back. He could hear every sigh the empress made and he thought maybe it was about the empress dowager but now, looking at Xian, he knows that talk had something to do with the change.

The empress had hit the road early this morning. Jin was left with the emperor and when he thought his life couldn't get any peace anymore he was caught by surprise when the emperor's behavior had been so docile that morning. Jin was bothered by it, yes, but at the same he was glad. He could focus.

Currently, he had a pen in his hand. Jin wrote down any ideas about the situation he was in and whenever he writes one, he tries to figure out every single loophole the opposing side will find. So far all his plans had loopholes. Way too many loopholes that Jin was unsure if he was just overthinking it or perhaps there isn't much to do regarding his position in the current matter.

For now, all he could do is gather more Intel from the empress's letters or the servants that serves his manor. Little details were given to him and non seemed helpful. The other was for him to go out and be seen with the emperor around the palace premises, act as if everything was okay and they are completely unaware of the turmoil but the empress firmly instructed him that he shouldn't go out for now or he might get harassed by those with ill intentions.

Jin groaned and dropped the pen on the table. He placed his head none too gently ontop of it, sighing deeply.

Xian noticed Jin's actions and proceeded to stand up from where he sat. He approached the sulking man and sat beside him, however his mouth remained quiet and even his eyes searched everywhere but they never landed on Jin's figure. Jin was suddenly fed up.

"Are you not feeling well today?" Jin asked as he raised his head, unable to take the emperor's silent treatment anymore. Xian sighed, shaking his head as he spoke.

"Am I being too persistent?"

Jin frowned "On what matter?"

"Trying to...get you to sleep with me..?" The emperor muttered under his breath, feeling slightly ashamed of his words.

Jin blinked, unsure of how to take the information he just heard.

"You were trying to get me to sleep with you?" Jin began.

"Like..this whole time?" He continued and the emperor nodded.

"Why?"

Jin's question made the emperor raise his head, finally meeting Jin's eyes and those coffee brown orbs made the emperor's heart skip a beat.

Beautiful.

Xian thought , silently admiring Jin's eyes. Jin on the other hand grew tired of his continued silence that he snapped his fingers infront of the emperor's face. Catching him off of his stupor.

"Er...I don't exactly know. Do I have to have a reason?" Xian replied, unsure.

Jin bursts out laughing. He clutched his stomach as it began to ache but his laughter continued until he was out of breath. The emperor could only watch, confused.

As Jin finally composed himself, he wiped a tear from his eye and stared straight into the emperor's wavering gaze.

"That's the most ridiculous and foolish words that have ever come out of your mouth" Jin exclaimed.

The emperor didn't know how to respond to it. Jin's words deflated him and Jin noticed that but he looked away.

Ere long, silence had befallen the two once more. The only sounds that echoed were the birds chirping happily outside. It was a comfortable silence. One Jin would choose to have every single day as he live inside the palace walls but not today. Not when the emperor was going to stay by his side. He would never find peace.

"I'm bored" Jin complained, fiddling with the pen in his hand.

"Any idea on how we could make this day less boring?" Jin asked, facing the emperor and bumping his knee on him on purpose to grab Xian's attention. Xian hummed softly. A crease forming between his brows as he tried to think of a way.

"Well we can go out"

Jin gave him a look, asking if he was serious.

"What's the matter, didn't you say you're bored" Xian pointed out.

Sometimes Jin wonders if the emperor has a bad memory. He seems to forget a lot. Or either he really just does whatever he wants.

"The empress clearly said that if possible I am not to leave the premise of my manor" Jin reminded.

The emperor chuckled. A deep reverberating sound coming from his chest that made Jin's stomach form knots. Odd.

"She never said you're not allowed" the emperor retorted.

"Yes but she clearly said it's better if.."

"Do you want to stay coped up in this room of yours for who knows how long until everything settles down?" Xian interrupted making the side of Jin's mouth twitch in irritation. Jin never liked being interrupted mid speech.

"But.." Jin considered the emperor's words. If he goes out, he doesn't know what he might face. Discrimination, maybe. Insult, perhaps. Whispering and stares, a given. On the other hand if he stayed coped up in the manor, and with the emperor on top of that.

Jin knew he might lose his mind.

"Alright fine...but.."

The emperor raised a brow.

"But?"

Jin looked around before a blush formed in his cheeks.

"Get out, I need to change into something"

The emperor was a little confused until he remembered that the person he was with, was a man pretending to be a woman.

"Oh..I won't look" Xian smirked, now back to his usual self that Jin was accustomed to. Jin glared heatedly at him and the emperor raised his hand up in defeat. He stood up from his seat and quickly left the room. Although before he completely left, he looked back at Jin and smiled.

"Look beautiful for me" With those words, the emperor closed the door behind him and left a flabbergasted Jin.

As if I would!

Jin thought however, he had subconsciously been careful with the dress he picked, along with his make up and ended up dressing just as how the emperor wanted.