Chapter 1

27th March 2021

9am

It was an ordinary Saturday morning, but this morning Nathan woke from his bed to the sound of messages constantly vibrating his cell phone...
Yet today he is a celebrant and a "happy birthday" messages and good wishes came from everyone.
He stretched his still sleepy hand out of the blanket of his warm bed and reached for a sound source that was still ringing with the sound of a message informing him that new messages had just arrived.
He brought his cell phone closer to his face, unlocked the home screen, and began writing a few "thank you!" message, but one message in particular caught his eye:

"Happy Birthday, birthday boy!"

It would have been a very ordinary message if the sender's name had not read "Stana".

Nathan only knew one Stana and if that was Stana he had just thought of, then this made a big smile on his face.

"Thank you very much!"

He quickly typed and pressed the "send" button.

In response, he received a message that was again not expected:

"How do you spend your day now that you are a year older? Maybe you're a little more mature"

Stana put a funny emoji next to that "mature" because she herself knew very well that her then co-star was always childish and she had no doubt that he remained like that.

"Why, Detective Beckett, I thought you'd never ask."

Nathan seized the perfect opportunity and took the chance to throw one of his Richard Castle lines.

"Nope, I see still childish"

Stana's answer arrived and while Nathan was thinking what to write another Stana's message arrived:

"12 years. Can you believe it's been 12 years since first episode?"

"I guess then I'm not the only one missing that time."

Nathan sent a message with a smile and hoped Stana shared the same opinion with him.

"Nope, you're not the only one"

The answer Nathan wanted to hear arrived.

"Anyway, I'm glad we heard each other, enjoy your birthday!"

After the previous message, Stana quickly sent this one and thus destroyed Nathan's every hope that the conversation would continue.

What have I done now? What did I say wrong? Why doesn't she want to talk anymore?

Nathan wondered to himself and tried to figure out the answer.

"Okay, gotta go to work, too. Glad you texted..."

It was the last message he sent, a message that still went unanswered when he checked after getting ready for work.

But regardless of that, Nathan was somehow happy...After so many years, she remembered his birthday, which means that he meant something to her, at least as a colleague.

He consoled himself with that thought and headed for the car to drive to the new filming location of the currently third season of The Rookie.

Or was she just being polite because they had been colleagues for so many years?

A new thought began to roll in Nathan's head.

Either way, she brightened his day for sure...He felt something special about that woman, he didn't know what exactly, but he knew it was something special in that woman and he could feel it, he could feel the way this conversation of theirs made his heart leap with something and it certainly wasn't hatred like the rumors say, he would never treat anyone like that and especially not towards Stana, his colleague, he had great respect for her as an actress who does her job superbly, but also as a person with whom he worked and shared eight years of his life....and he has to...he has to do something about it, it hurts him that people think he treated her like a real bastard because he didn't do it and he never would. It hurts him that people think the series was canceled because of him, he would give the world to work with all those people again because those eight years were one of the greatest joys of his creative life. He would give anything to be able to work with Stana again and show people that he would never do such disgusting things that are written about him in the media.

She's his colleague, she is someone, someone important to him, he would like them to be close, to be in touch, they didn't heard of each other a lot since the filming ended even though Nathan so ardently wished it was other way around...but how? What, if he called it would be "Hey, how are you?" "I am doing good, and you?" and he doesn't want that two mates kinda of chit-chat, he wants, well he wants...uh something else even he himself isn't pretty sure what exactly... of course he would never ask her for anything more than friendship, he knows she is married and he would never put himself in a position to be called a destroyer of other people's marriages, regardless of his feelings that were and still are mixed like a real torrent...He just wants them to be friends...yeah, right friends... he cares about her as a person and that's why he is even more hurt when people write rumors about how he treated her badly and abused her.

"Hey Nathan, my man!"

Titus aka Officer West greeted Nathan, and before Nathan could manage Titus cheerfully pulled him with him and the duo headed for where their crew and cast tents were.

****

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NATHAN!!!

The whole cast of The Rookie exclaimed in one voice...
Soon a cake with a big "50" in the middle was on the table...

"For Nathan!"

With a smile, they toasted Nathan's name with a glass of champagne.
They laughed, had fun, talked, reminisced about funny moments during filming and of course enjoyed the cake. There was everyone, from cameramen, directors, makeup artists, effects and sound crew, repetitive actors, guest stars all the way to the main actors...But there wasn't a person Nathan truly wanted to be here and celebrate his birthday with...
Stana. He wanted Stana to be here now, at least for a second because ever since he read that message she sent to him, again it was only her on his mind and he couldn't kick it out even if he tryed. He wanted to see that beautiful smile of hers one more time, the smile he would give all the money in the world for, the smile that made him smile. That thought was repressed in his head as he was at his birthday party organized by whole cast and crew of The Rookie, his The Rookie family.

As you can see this is Stanathan fanfiction. I'm already writing Caskett fanfiction but I've decided to try something new. So this is my first Stanathan fanfiction, hope you'll like it! Do you like the idea of the story??
And sorry for short chapter.
Chapter 2 will be Stana's point of view.

P. S:
I will continue to write my Caskett fanfiction, but I will also write this one!

But first tell me what you think about this one: comment please<3