Chapter 14: The Not-Awaited Task

Finn's POV

Two months ever since the infamous date passed. Oliver and Heather continued to get to know each other and date more while I had to watch it all unfold.

I started becoming more distant from them and just solely focusing on my school works and while at that, I started getting recognized more. 

The scene at the restaurant did go on the school's news but Bella's expectations weren't exactly satisfied. While I the video got the attention like she thought it would and more, it wasn't exactly negative, nobody made fun of me like she thought they would. Instead, people liked me more due to me paying the waiter a thousand bucks. I guess Oliver really fulfilled what he promised, thanks to him, my name's not in the mud.

It's just weird walking around the school with people saying 'hi' to me, especially if you're like me who has trust issues and have lost faith in humanity a long time ago. I overthink it, like they had some an ulterior motive with their simple greetings.

And now, December has arrived. And my teachers kept giving me buttloads of home works because the Holiday break was coming.

I was doing my chemistry assignment on my bed, it was one in the morning, and everything was peaceful when suddenly, I heard something crash somewhere in the house. It made me jump a little, making me drop my textbook. I hopped off of my bed and approached the kitchen where I heard the crash and just before I successfully made it there. I heard my mom and my dad whispering, a broken vase on the floor.

I decided to press myself against the wall and that's when I had clear understanding of what was happening.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You're gonna wake up Finn!" I heard my dad's voice say which sent chills down my spine. I've never heard her swear at my mom and I thought I wasn't ever.

"Rick. Why are you being so unreasonable?! I'm simply just asking for more amount for-"

"I'm not gonna give you my hard-earned money just to send it to that asshole! Can't you see? He's literally just using you!" 

My heart dropped. Even when I was just little, I've always been hearing my mom and dad talk about a certain person which my dad was obviously not fond of. And that's the times when my dad would always disagree with my mom but I didn't know anything else about it.

"He fucking loved me, Rick! How could you say that about him?!" 

"Beating you up isn't a sign he loved you." 

And then I heard a sharp sound reverberate. 

"I'm done with you." I heard my mom say. 

I hid behind a corner so my mom wouldn't see me when she walked past. Once the coast was clear, I took a peek into the kitchen just to see my dad pouring himself a glass of whiskey, still rubbing his cheek from where I assumed my mom slapped him.

I slowly trudged back into my room with a heavy heart. I've never seen my parents fight like that, resorting to swearing at each other and even hurting each other emotionally and physically. Sure, they had a few arguments here and there. They even sometimes argue about really absurd stuff like there was one occasion where they argued of who could spit the farthest. They loved each other, I was so sure of that. I knew that something was up when I'd hear my dad complain about some missing money. And how my mom would sometimes tell me to go to my room in very weird times of the day for no reason.

I was so lost, I didn't know what to feel. I debated on texting Heather or Oliver but I decided against it as I thought that they were already sleeping. So instead, I just closed my textbook, turned my lamp off and went to bed, my heart still in my stomach.