Chapter 21: Blooming Socialite

Finn's POV

Today was the Lancaster Spring Festival. It was a little event that the school organized every year whenever Spring would start and it's usually after the Spring Break. It marked the beginning of the end of the school year and there, they would also announce who the nominees was for the Prom King and Queen. It was an important day for the school but in the last two years, I've never attended it at least once. But this year, Heather managed to convince me to go. I was also swayed by the thought of spending more time with Oliver.

I picked an oversized, white shirt with a dark orange jacket to match it and dark blue jeans as an outfit for that day. I had no intention of grabbing more attention especially now that Oliver and I had a thing so I kept it simple. I had Heather pick me up that day and we made our way to the school.

We got out of the car and the colorful scenery greeted me with a warm wind going through my hair. I didn't expect everything to be colorful and alive because just two weeks ago, the trees were all leafless and dead but I welcomed the warm, colorful and bright scenery.

We entered the school gates to see tents scattered around in the quad with various activities to choose from, the smell of food wafting in the air. Just the feel of it all, it felt like it was gonna be a great day.

"Where do you wanna go first, Finn?"

I looked around the very busy quad. There were barely any familiar faces. Hundreds of people milled around, greeting friends with hugs. 

"Let's find our friends first." I suggested. Heather nodded before taking my hand and entering the busy crowd. 

Because of my height combined with the crowd surging the opposite way as me, I bumped into a guy who was definitely taller than me. I was about to voice out a quick apology when I noticed that it was Jason in front of me.

"Oh hey, Finn! I didn't see you there." He greeted brightly as he gave me a one-armed hug. "You looking for Oliver?"

I nodded. "Kind of. You know where he is?" 

"He's there in the kissing booth." 

My mouth opened in a gasp, my heart instantly dropping to my stomach.

Jason laughed and clapped my back. "April fools, he's by the fountain." 

I frowned and gave his shoulder a light punch. "Damn you. I'll see you later." I said before leaving the two of them in each other's company.

After a long trudge of elbowing through a crowd of people and muttering a million 'excuse me', I finally reached the fountain where Oliver was indeed sitting by. He was sitting on the edge of the fountain as he fiddled with the small flower in his hands. I couldn't help but smile at the sight as I started to make my way towards him. The moment he saw me, his face lit up, a smile making its way to his face.

"Hey my Finnegan." He greeted sweetly and just when I was close enough to be in his reach, he pulled me into him, making my hand fly to his chest because of the impact. He supported my back with his hand so I wouldn't fall out of his hold.

"Oh hi. That was a greeting." I said in surprise as I looked up at him, our noses were almost touching.  

"Too much?"

"People are gonna look..." I trailed off quietly as I subtly looked around us, searching for any prying eyes.

He chuckled as he slowly loosened his hold on me. "It's fine, let them look. If I can even shout the two of us out, I would."