Chapter 18: The End of the Tunnel

Finn's POV

Bella's threat haunted me. When I'm doing my homework, when I'm eating, when I tried to sleep that night and even in my dreams. Even worse is that my family was still in shambles. My dad has been overworking himself, I barely have time to talk to him. My mom was still at my aunt's. Heather probably started suspecting that there was something wrong. 

Once the whole school knew about Oliver and I, Heather would find out that her best friend whom she have put her trust to betrayed her. She would find out that way. And the only way I could prevent that, is if I tell her before Bella tells the whole school.

The only saving grace in this situation was Oliver. He had been reminding me that he was there for me and even he noticed that something was wrong with me. I hadn't told him about Bella's threat, I didn't want him to worry too and I definitely don't want him to influence my decision or even worse... he might stay away from me. It hasn't even been a full day since Bella's blackmail but it felt like it had been an entire week, eating on me and making me feel guilty.

I recalled what my dad said to me that day that I asked for his help.

"Listen, son. I know you, and I also know Heather. I know that if you bring it up to her, she won't be mad. Heather is a kind kid. I'm sure she'd prefer if you talk to her about it than finding out another way. You'll work it out."

So I woke up that morning not only drenched in cold sweat but also drenched in hesitance. I was gonna tell Heather about Oliver and I... that same day. No matter what the outcome was, I needed to accept it. So I took the extra time that morning to prepare myself for what was about to come. I needed to prepare for any reaction, regardless if it's negative or positive. And most importantly, if I'd still have a friend by the end of the day.

I got out of bed painfully after procrastinating and immediately went to the kitchen to find my dad talking on the phone. I know it wasn't right but I decided not to enter the kitchen and just listen to what he was gonna say.

"And I'm sorry for bringing up those memories. I was just so mad. You're not at fault here, I understand how you felt at the time." 

He paused for a while as I assumed, the person on the other line was talking.

I then noticed that a smile slowly made its way onto his face. "I actually have to go since I don't want to burn the food I'm cooking. I love you forever... Alright. Bye." He hung up and he didn't move for a few seconds, he just looked out the window with his phone close to his chest.

I had a feeling I knew who he was talking to which made my heart jump. I entered the kitchen and announced my presence by pulling the island chair and sitting down.

"Good morning bean." He greeted brightly as he got back to cooking.

"Good morning... You know, I heard a few snippets of your conversation. Who was that?"

His smile got a little wider before he cleared his throat. "That was your mom, we resolved everything through the phone and she's finally coming back on Friday." 

I gasped in excitement. "Really? But what about the man you were talking about?"

"Well, your mom actually had the guts to tell him off and threatened to call the police on him. He got scared and... finally left her alone."