Ascension day

The smoke rises from the top of polis. The red fog mixes with the blue sky in the background. Augustus had told me he had seen this when Lexa had ascended. He was young then just like her when she first ascended but he had the vague memory of the smoke billowing out from the very top of polis. I look to Clarke with a sigh. "They're announcing her ascension."    

She looks at me, impressed. Her horse neighs as she grabs the reigns tighter. With a sigh She pulls out the flame and stares at it for a long moment. I walk my horse closer to her side.

"Clarke." She looks up at me at the sound of my soft voice. "I know she meant a lot to you. I'm truly sorry."

She tries to muster a smile to show her appreciation but she can't. I shake my head at her. She understands with no words. She doesn't have to pretend to be okay right now. She slides the box shut and puts it back in her pocket. She begins to trot away and I follow after.

The horns bellow in the distance remind us of what's happening in the capital city. Whether we liked it or not Ontari was the acting commander and skaikru was the enemy.

We trot in silence for quite some time before I break the silence. "What happens if lunas not willing to take the flame?"

Clarke looks to the ground and then back to me. Her next words haunting me. "Then we make her. We can't let Ontari be commander." Skaikru had come to this. Forcing people to take ai's.

"Clarke." I grab the reigns tighter. The cold wind blows against my face, blowing my hood off as we continue along our path. "I'm sure a commander forced on the throne isn't gonna be too happy about it."

"We have to try." Clarke looks back at me. I shake my head ready to interrupt but she continues. "If we don't skaikru is dead and you know that."

We leave it at that as Clarke moves ahead of me. Looking around my surroundings carefully I take a breath. This has to work but we can't force it.
————————————————————————
My feet connect with the ground with a slight thud. Dragging the ground, my cloak disrupts the dirt as I make my way to tie up my horse. I tie quick knots in the rope and turn towards Clarke. I walk silently next to her, stopping when she stops.

I scan the gates over when I hear a rover humming. "Clarke I think-" before I can pull her away a rover comes crashing through the gate. It comes to a screeching halt in front of us.

I pull my hand up in front of my face to block the headlights. The silhouette of the driver is unrecognizable to me but Clarke can see him.

"Jasper?" She looks surprised. I take note of the scared look on jaspers face. Jasper shakes as he looks at us. His eyes looking all over erratically . Something has spooked him tremendously. I walk to the side door and look through the window.

"Claire?" His eyes dart from me to Clarke. Jaspers hands start to turn white from his grip on the steering wheel. My hand hovers over my sword as I back away from the window. Slowly I turn my head towards the way Jasper came. I can't see anything yet but something had spooked him bad. "Get in!"

My attention snaps back to him. "Jasper what's going on?"

"I'll explain just get in!" Jasper practically begs. Clarke walks closer to the window.

" you don't understand. We need to talk to Lincoln." Clarke grabs the window and stares Jasper down. Jaspers grip tightens even more on the wheel.

"You don't understand." He snaps. I walk closer to the window and place myself between The pair. I'm about to intervene but Jasper continues. "Lincoln is dead and we will be, too, if you don't get in now!"