chapter 5.5

She had always had this problem, and it only happened when she was calm.

She would go to bed, and she would sleep.

But she never really slept.

She'd wake up, but she was still sleeping.

And she'd just sit there, no noises, breathing heavy.

Sleep sitting, sleep walking, sleep eating.

Name it, she'd do it.

She had Insomnia but in a form where she could sleep, without ever actually sleeping.

Which would explain the bags under her eyes, and sometimes even weird marks on her body.

Nobody knew about this but Daniel.

But for Y/n's sake, he never said anything.

He would stay up late with her the nights it happened, to make sure she was okay and that she made her way back to bed.

Sometimes he wouldn't sleep until she was fully asleep.

He watched to try to make sure she didn't hurt herself.

This is why he was asleep that morning.

He was exhausted from sitting with her all night.

Another reason why he sat with her for so long, voluntarily, was because she was peaceful.

She wasn't lashing out, wasn't yelling at him, wasn't avoiding him.

Sometimes he'd talk to her and she'd respond with hums. Sometimes even look at him.

She'd look at him like a father in these times.

But if she'd ever find out, she would begin to lock her doors again at night.

And she wouldn't even try to sleep.

Probably because she didn't need "help".

She was independent.

Just like her mother.

She believed she didn't need anyone.

Which is the same reason why her mother had pushed Daniel away, and it led Y/n to believe he had never cared.

He visited her when she was younger, but she didn't remember, she wouldn't remember, she refused to.

Because everytime she looked back into her childhood,

all she saw were the sirens, the police, the screaming, and the crying of her sister.

But no one could explain the weight loss, the refusing to eat.

It was just the feeling that she was taking things from other people that she didn't necessarily need, that she didn't deserve for being so rude all the time.

That they could've had.

Because what if someone was struggling with eating? Y/n didn't want to make that any worse.

But the only one who was struggling,

Was her.