chapter 9

"W-Wait so does that mean that Armin will have t-to leave us? Me and M-Mikasa?" Eren mustered out shakily, he must've been really distraught.

The lady looked at the floor, "Unfortunately,—" she started, "unless we somehow win the fight for Armin, we don't exactly have the finances for a good lawyer because 'we need emergency money in case something bad happens to me', we're just hoping that the court finds his dads old record, to see how bad of a man he really is." I didn't really know what happened with Armins father other than what he told me in the car, that day.

Armins mother was so beautiful, it was funny, you'd think that she was in her early 30's or something. Beautiful just like her boy,— wait what. What am i saying oh my god.

"I'm sorry if i'm interrupting—," I started, Armins mother gave a nod off reassurance, "but where is armin?."

"Probably in his study, he broke his phone and i'm pretty sure he's gotten a small fever, he's been working way too hard, court paperwork, exams, finances, just a lot of stress, he refuses to let me do any of it.. when i'm perfectly capable...—" Ms. Arlert clicked her tongue and shook her head, "— that boy is way too hard on himself for everything that he does."

Eren looked at me, "I can take you up to his study, (y/n), but im not sure if he would like that, he normally doesn't even let me and mikasa up there unless it's urgent, it's um—" Eren started to say but was interrupted by Ms. Arlert, "— Armin may seem like a put together person but that's just because he's so messy at home." She smiled lightly, her smile was so beautiful.

"Yeah, Eren could you take me up to it? I'm sure he wouldn't mind his friends just checking up on him." i asked.

"Of Course, this way, m'lady." Eren joked. I cringed.

Once i entered the study i could see that Armin was practically buried under paperwork, he had messy hair, he was sleeping with his head in his hand, drooling, he was sound asleep. He was so peaceful.

I walked over to him and knelt down to his head, "Careful, (y/n), we don't know if he's really sick or not." Eren said concerned.

"I'll be fine, can you go get me a lukewarm wash rag? Make sure it's only damp."

"Yeah, sure, i'll be back, don't snoop through his stuff, he hates it." Eren warned, then turned and left for the wash rag.

Armin shifted, his head now laying sideways as his arms were cross crossed, all the court paperwork, exams, and finance paperwork was sprawled out before him. He had a concerned brow, but other then that his face was still and peaceful.

I decided to pick up one of the exam papers, it had sloppy writing written on it but from what i could make out it was correct. I put it down and accidentally rubbed Armins cheek with my arm, i softly gasped, he was kind of burning up.

I put my hand to his cheek, unknowingly, he leaned into it, then started groaning. Armin opened his eyes, he started for a moment, his eyes were very puffy and sort of red, he sniffed.

As soon as Armin realized that he was leaning into my hand, i he flushed red and his head shot up, "W-What are you doing here?? How did you get in?? Is it just—" He started asking a bunch of frantic questions.

I piled my hand back towards my body, "Shhhhh.. it's okay, Jeez.. your mother let me and Eren in because we were worried for you... why haven't you been at school?" I asked him, he sort of tilted his head down, then let it rest in his hands while his elbows were on the desk.

"What day is it." He asked kind of emptily.

"It's Thursday Armin."

"God, DAMNIT." He took one of his hands off of his face and softly slammed it on the table, it wasn't angrily though, it was disappointment, and sadness.

He was crying into his clasped hands, the red puffiness wasn't from him sleeping. "I missed school again, i'm going to fail, my moms gonna hate me,—" he said, stumbling over his words.

And then i saw it, Armin wasn't the perfect man that everyone had pictured him as, he was a boy with flaws, and a lot of problems. He needed help, but never held himself up for it, he just fell apart every time things got bad, he was independent, just like my mother.

"Hey hey hey, cmon now, you really think your mom could ever hate you after everything you've done for her, and you aren't going to fail you're one of the smartest people i know. Please don't beat yourself up over this kind of stuff, it happens to the best of us." I told him, but i quickly turned around, Eren was standing in the doorway with the wash rag, with a heavy look of concern.

I turned back to Armin, but to my surprise he was sound asleep again, this time in a more comfortable position to put the rag into his forehead, so i did just that.

I wish i could help him, i really do, but how am i going to help someone if i can't even help myself?

"I think, that we should get going." Eren said, something obviously changed in his mood, but he probably wasn't going to admit it, probably distraught by the fact that his best friend was suffering.

"Yeah, good idea." I replied.

A/N~ Hey guys this chapter might kinda thrrow you for a loop but i promise armin isn't gonna be this edgy and depressed throughout the entire thing, it was just necessary for the story line right now.
i hope y'all enjoyed this chapter cuz i know i didn't 🙁 mi baby is sad