26 // fun sized

// cate //

Luke was soaked, head to toe. He was covered in rainwater, and it was all because of how determined he was to find me.

It was all because of me.

I was glad he had found me, but I felt a little bad about my outburst towards him. It wasn't completely justified, but it was reasonable enough. He didn't deserve my anger, though.

As he pulled up to the house, it didn't seem as if the rain was going to let up in the slightest. So Luke drove right up to the front porch, getting as close as possible before letting me off. He pulled farther away to park so he wouldn't be in the way. Mom didn't want him parking in the garage because her cars and dad's cars and Calum's car and Mali's car are all parked in there, so there wasn't really room anyway. Luke said he didn't mind.

But now, as the rain definitely wasn't letting up, I'm sure he wished he could've parked in there.

I waited for him on the stoop, not wanting to head inside. The wind was harsh, and so were the water droplets being splattered onto my face aggressively, but I didn't want to leave him.

Luke jogged over through the rain, getting soaked for a third time.

"You need a shower," I told him loudly over the sound of the pelting rain.

"I know," he shouted back, grinning despite the water dribbling down into his eyes. "That's what Mother Nature seems to think too."

I rolled my eyes good naturedly, about to open the front door for him, but he beat me to it. I pouted, but he nudged me inside, still smiling ear to ear.

As soon as we got inside, my mother appeared from wherever she had been, alerted by the sound of the front door opening.

"Goodness, Luke," she said, her eyes wide. "Aimee, go get some towels, please."

Aimee nodded, returning surprisingly moments later with two fluffy towels. As he thankfully dried himself off for the first time in an hour and a half, mom took me to the side.

"Are you okay?"

"Mhm."

"Do you need to sort anything out?"

I shook my head. "I- I figured it out. Sorry for being snappy earlier."

She nodded. "I appreciate that," she said earnestly, "Okay, you two go get dry, I'm going to go back and work on my case with your brother."

I smiled, making my way back to where the lanky blonde with damp hair was patting down his face.

"If you hang your clothes up in one of the bathrooms, I will come and wash them later," Aimee told him, her subtle Polish accent lacing her words.

Luke shook his head. "It's fine, I can do it."

"I insist." She raised an eyebrow, bemused.

"You sure?"

"It's my job,"

Luke sighed. "If you insist." I could tell that he was joking around with her, and she took it well, offering a tight-lipped smile.

She glanced behind her, maybe checking to make sure we all were truly alone before saying softly, "I'll be sure to check Miss Catelynn's bathroom first."

My eyes widened as my heart dropped.

"Oh, don't look like you just got approached by a Black Volga," she huffed, "only I know."

Luke looked a little shaken up himself, but he offered a vague nod.

"It isn't as if you two are quiet," she muttered good-naturedly, walking away.