37 // anna karenina

// luke //

It was the day before her birthday.

He had nearly forgotten, but when Calum had mentioned it in passing a few hours before, Luke suddenly felt ridiculously guilty.

So he had gone out to buy flowers when she had went to go swimming with her siblings at the country club. Catie had invited him to come along, but Luke fibbed and told her he was feeling a little under the weather.

The flower shop didn't sell indigos, so he had to settle for some purple flower that had a resemblance to the flower that they had spent a good amount of time discussing.

Luke didn't know what else to get her. He knew her so well, but he was blanking on what to get her for her birthday.

After a couple long walks around the shopping plaza, Luke decided to buy her a few small things. He figured she would understand what he meant by the gifts.

He headed back to the house, just to find that Calum had sent him a text to join them if he was feeling up to it.

And- after a quick lunch and some consideration- Luke figured he would. Maybe he wouldn't go swimming, but just hang out at the side of the pool.

Basketball shorts and a random Nirvana shirt later, Luke was driving to the country club, which he had visited only one time before.

The car ride was full of anticipation. Luke didn't know why. He had no idea why he was nearly buzzing. Maybe it was the idea of seeing Catie after secretly going out and trying to plan her birthday.

He used Calum's name at the entrance- and although his rugged appearance raised several eyebrows- he was allowed to come inside. Luke supposed that most country club members didn't have scars on their faces and ink covering their arms, but he didn't care.

As long as he got to spend time with his princess.

Luke had to ask several people where the pool was, and eventually he was directed to pavement outside. There weren't many people out there, just a select few in addition to the Hoods and Calum's girlfriend.

Calum waved when he saw Luke, shouting a quick greeting. Luke walked over to where he was leaning against the side of the pool.

"Hey, man,"

"Hey," he replied, clapping his extended hand.

Luke room a seat on the edge, leaving his beat up converse on the pavement next to him as he let his feet dangle in the water.

"How's the water?"

"Good. You feel better?"

He nodded. "Yeah, think it was just exhaustion." Another white lie, but it wouldn't hurt anyone.

"Cal!" Aliyah's smooth voice called from the other side.

Calum glanced back, giving a quick nod to Luke before swimming back to his girlfriend.

His eyes wandered over to where Mali was floating on her back, her blonde hair wisping over her forehead and eyes. Catie wasn't in sight, but movement in his peripherals caused him to glance over.

There she was, walking down the pool steps with a bottled water in her hand. She glanced up, a smile gracing her lips when she noticed him.

Quickly, she glided over to her sister, handing her the cold water that the older girl had presumably requested. Catelynn glanced over her shoulder at where Calum was turned away, mumbling to his girlfriend.

She swam over to the edge where Luke was. Her hands grasped the side, and she pushed her elbows onto the pavement next to Luke.

"Hi, princess," Luke murmured raspily.