With Pia

Here's another interview with one of the winners of Watt-A-Decade - With Pia, who is known as Glory_feeling2 on Wattpad. Read her winning story Seeking an S.O.S.

☕☕☕

Welcome to the interview, Pia!

Tell us something about you!

I am a childhood brain cancer survivor, who has grown to her adulthood. I speak up for those like me who have a disability, have any mental/ behavioral problem. I also used to be an ambassador but left in the spring of 2019 for health issues.

When and how did you discover Wattpad?

Back in 2014, I came across half of a Wattpad story on an app called Flipboard. After I finished the story (which I have forgotten which one it is now) it led me to the Wattpad App. And the rest is now part of my reading and writing history!

When did you start writing and what does writing mean to you?

I started writing at a very young age. For those who remember the 'Highlights' Children's magazine, I used to send in some letters to them hoping to be selected. I always wanted to see my name in 'shining light' since I am known as an introvert. It wasn't until the fifth grade that I learned that I could write a book though since my class had an assignment to make one. Writing to me allowed me to break 'out of my shell' later in life as my work was displayed in poetry anthologies, school newspapers and even a music magazine!

What inspired you to write your Watt-A-Decade winning story?

The title alone says it all. Watt-A-Decade! Who doesn't want to be a part of that? I wanted to take that chance with "Seeking an S.O.S" - It is my first Sci-Fi story and I love to take part in challenges, especially in genres I haven't done before.

Do you have a favourite part in your winning story that you would like to share? If yes, tell us why!

I think the most fun I had was coming up with the character names. First, I came up with a 'Bonnie and Clyde' duo. For those who are not familiar with the infamous couple, the real Bonnie & Clyde were known as American robbery team responsible for a 21-month crime spree from 1932 to 1934. 

Next, I wanted to put some LGBTQ+ ladies in there. Marti (short for Martina) came to me as I was looking at a Margarita. LOL! Her girlfriend's name is Harley (I named it after a Harley Davidson motorcycle as I saw one in a commercial)! And her brother is named Roman (he's named after handsome wrestler named Roman). All 5 of these characters are prisoners who were sent to space and there future now relies on how they all can get along with each other.

What did you like about the Watt-A-Decade event the most?

I loved the prompts. I don't recall all of them, but many were wacky and others made us think beyond what we already know. If I had extra time, I could have written another story based on another prompt.

Thank you for the interview! Congratulations on winning Watt-A-Decade's writing contest!