With Wendy Nelson

Hi, Wendy, thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

Thank you so much for thinking of me! I love being involved with this site and all the good friends I've made on here! :)

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

My fiction is a little supernatural, a good serving of fantasy, a dash of romance, and a heck of a lot of adventure - at least that's what I always try for. I am not always successful but that's why I like writing on Wattpad. It helps me figure out what kind of writer I WANT to be and helps me get there at my own pace. I think people who write always hope to reach as many people as possible - some people hope to make their living writing. I'm just happy anybody out there, likes the stories I tell.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focused?

I am still trying to figure out the magic spell for that one. Writing requires a certain amount of mental commitment - at least it does for me. I need the "space" in my own brain to write and sometimes that space becomes overly filled with daily concerns, family, work, bills, etc. I try to push that stuff aside to make room for my creative side to come out - this is still something I struggle with constantly but when I am successful in this regard I feel a LOT better. I feel like myself again and I love being able to bring other people on these weird literary adventures with me!

What top tips would you advise for getting a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

Figure out what the problem or challenge your main character is facing -- sometimes we think it's one thing but it turns into something else. I have found when I really know WHAT my character's problem truly is, I can find a way to the end. Telling the story (or writing it) is only a written explanation of that problem solving, much like writing out the solution to a complicated math problem.

How much do you edit on the fly? Or do you prefer to edit after you've finished the initial draft?

I edit and correct as I type as much as I possibly can. I hate leaving errors as I type, so I try to catch them. I write then upload and go over it as carefully as I can and make as many final edits as needed. Something inevitably gets lost in there so I usually read my upload a few times and catch any leftovers! People will point a few here and there so I try to go back and make those little corrections if possible.

Personally, what kind of novella -- be it any style, theme, or genre -- would you like to see emerge from the Open Novella Contest?

I love paranormal/fantasy writing with strong characters that are not cliched or typical archetypes. I don't necessarily like supernatural horror stories that make it hard for me to sleep -- I adore people who can find just the right balance of spooky and adventure!

Lastly, because we're always curious... What was your ever first experience with the power of the written language?

I can vividly remember reading when I was younger to get away for a time from my own life - not because there was anything wrong but because I liked the idea of being somewhere else or being SOMEONE else. Reading allowed me to do that -- I could be a cheerleader in Sweet Valley, or an adventurer in the Alaskan wilderness, or even a scared babysitter in an R.L. Stine novel. I loved that feeling of getting lost, of falling into a different place or a different time. Reading still does that for me - especially when I find just the right author.

Reading makes people more empathetic and sympathetic, we become better people for it. I think we need this now more than ever!

It's been great hearing from you, Wendy, and thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge in storytelling.

Thank YOU for asking me to participate! It's been fun answering these questions!!

Best wishes in your future endeavours from Coffee Community.

Our goal is to bring you many more exclusive interviews with people who aren't just Wattpad Stars or Staff, but also some pretty awesome authors.
In that quest, next we will be talking to Kary English, so stick around for more fun!