With elveloy

This year the 4th place of the ONC is shared by two winners - another one of them being elveloy with her story The Janus Project

This year the 4th place of the ONC is shared by two winners - another one of them being elveloy with her story The Janus Project. So, let's see what she has to tell us about her ONC journey!

Hi there! How did you get into writing?

I wanted to be a writer when I was growing up, and in fact had quite a few stories half started on foolscap paper. Then real life happened and I didn't return to writing until I took early retirement a few years ago. I hauled the drafts out from under my bed and flicked through to see what I could salvage and turn into something worth reading. Then I found Wattpad...

Why did you participate in the Open Novella Contest?

This is my third year entering the contest and I've made the Shortlist (or better) each year so that was a great incentive to try again. Apart from giving me motivation to write something longer than my usual short stories, I love the camaraderie between authors during the writing period. So much mutual commenting and encouragement.

What inspired you to write your ONC winning story?

I started with prompts 67 and 68, with 50 hovering in the background. (I managed to incorporate that one near the end) I love writing sci-fi and featuring diverse characters so the idea of a romance / mystery / crime story in an alternate world really appealed to me.

Do you have a favourite part in your story that you would like to share? Please, elaborate why you like that part in particular.

This is a hard one - this story in particular is a bit like a jigsaw puzzle - lots of pieces which slot together but you can't see the whole picture until you finish. Perhaps the first chapter? As it sets the scene for the rest of the story. And the last chapter of course as it ties everything together... at least for the moment!

What did you like about the Open Novella Contest the most?

The energy! My own, to keep working chapter after chapter, fitting the pieces together (I am a normally a very slow writer!) and then the energy in the community, between readers and other writers.

What do you like best about writing on Wattpad?

The community interaction. I've experimented with a couple of other writing sites, but Wattpad is the one I stick with, the one I invest time in. :)

Congratulations to you for making it to the Top Five and thank you for the interview! We wish you all the best for your future projects. 💛