With Finn H. Arlett

Hi, Finn, thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

The pleasure's mine. Thank you for taking the time to ask me!

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

Hmm, fiction that makes you think. Or at least I'd hope so. Even just a tiny bit. At heart I'm a short story/novella enthusiast, so that's mainly what I write. But I love fiction that challenges you to think about what you're reading. Not like, "deeper meanings" and all that, which is fine if you're into it, but it's usually a bit lost on me unless I specifically read that story for the significance.
No, I like to read and write stories that challenge perception, so they might not be everything they first appear to be. I've got a thing for stories that make the reader ponder about it for a long time afterward.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focussed?

Honestly? Discovering! I hate to say I've never planned a story in my life beyond a simple outline of the setting and the ending, so discovering what happens in between is a real thrill for me. Especially the "who". Characters climb out of the woodwork, and before you know it your thoughts are being hijacked. That's the part that keeps me going -- having a character to tell.

What top tips would you advise for getting a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

Write something you'd love to pick up and read, whatever it is! When I wrote my first novel I was really into A Song of Ice and Fire, but also a Final Fantasy game I was replaying. I ended up sorta combining the two in an epic novel that took three years to complete. But for shorter works, I would always advise going with an idea that gives you electricity, and then write it as soon as you get a chance, or the spark fades.

An avid Reader and a Gamer as well huh? So when you are writing, how much do you edit on the fly? Or do you prefer to edit after you've finished the initial draft?

I'd be lying if I said I leave all my editing until the end, even though I know to, but I'll usually get to a point early in the initial storytelling process where I'll keep moving forward and not look back until I've written the last word. If you get into this mindset it's really effective. You can always edit after, and that's when the story really comes together. So save all your editing until you know how it ends!

It appears you are an enthusiast of Historical Fiction written with dark shades, so personally, what kind of novella -- be it any style, theme, or genre -- would you like to see emerge from the Open Novella Contest?

I'd love to see something dark and unexplainable emerge from this contest. Something that is well put together, thoughtful, and engaging from the first page. Not asking much am I!

Not at all, it's what we expect from this contest! Lastly, because we're always curious... What was your ever first experience with the power of the written language?

I started writing young, but my first real thrill in writing came when I was about 17 and began writing a novel that I knew was too poignant for me to finish at the time. I wasn't mature enough to do it justice and I still haven't written it. But one day I will. That was probably the first time I felt the gravity of writing.

It's been great hearing from you, Finn, and thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge in storytelling.

Thank you for having me! Free cheek squishes any time. Just be gentle.

Best wishes for your future endeavours from Coffee Community, and we'll drop by later for our free cheek squishes. ^_^

Our goal is to bring you many more exclusive interviews with people who aren't just Wattpad Stars or Staff, but also some pretty awesome authors.
In that quest, next we will be talking to JasminAMiller, so stick around for more fun!