With sissouthernink1994

Welcome readers,

Starting in November 2015, our first author interview was done. Our first "coffee victim per se" was sissouthernink1994 and we asked her how she developed her story found in our display entitled Thanksgiving dinner.

1. What inspired you to write your short story entitled "Thanksgiving Dinner"?

I originally wrote it to be included in a young adult compilation a few years ago. I was trying to think of a subject that would appeal to young adults. Turns out my age idea of YA was a little older than what the compilation wanted. It wasn't so much about what I wanted to write, more about what I didn't. No teen romance, no vampires, no sci-fi. A nice family story is what I came up with and fashioned the characters after two people I'm a fan of.

2. How did you come up with the creative plot where two gay men tried to make amends with their families by building a unique table?

I first envisioned it first as a movie and the two people I had in mind were B. Scott (an internet personality) as Lou and Shemar Moore (an actor from Criminal Minds) as Brian. B. Scott is a gay man, androgynous and beautiful. Shemar is straight and masculine but so gorgeous! I couldn't get the two of them out of my head. Lou and Brian as a couple are strong, loving, supportive, and family oriented. So it just made sense that Brian would want to help Lou. I have a lot of gay friends [who] have the support of their families but I know there are so many that don't. I wanted anyone who read it, not just gay young adults, to see that a family could be reconciled. The reasons families don't communicate or see each other vary [often, is] from a misunderstanding to extreme and criminal. The table represented the family as being united; first by Lou and Brian being on one accord to make it, then by their families sitting down to share a meal over it. Food has an odd way of bringing people together.

3. How do you celebrate Thanksgiving? Is it similar to your story?

Thanksgiving in my family is very similar when it comes down to the food and conversation. I will be getting married within the next two years so the combining of families is something I'm looking forward to. My family has never had to have anything happen that we had to have a reconciliation moments for. We do wonder how other families who can't get along function.

4. Do you write any other short stories?

I have three other short stories sketched out, I just need to focus and start writing. And as with all the other things I've written, I'm envisioning them as movies too. LOL!

5. What do you like best about writing on the Wattpad site?

What I like best about Wattpad is the interaction with other writers and authors. I belong to a few other sites but this one is a little different. I belong to a fan fiction site (the first one I started writing on) which is all fandom (TV, movies, books, video games, cartoons, anime, etc). WP lets people present their original works. I like that.

Thank you again, Erica, for participating in our interview. We appreciate it!

And we are glad to have had the opportunity to interview back when Coffee Community started in 2015!

Her story can be found here.