With arpeggio-

This year the third instalment of the OpenNovellaContest took place, awarding five winners. So, we have decided to get to know them more and how they created their ONC winning stories.

 So, we have decided to get to know them more and how they created their ONC winning stories

So, let's meet arpeggio-, whose story Ear to the Serpent was ranked the 4th place!

How did you get into writing?

I have actually been writing stories since I was about eight years old — the oldest draft is a retelling of The Princess and The Frog — but I only became serious about being an author when I turned fourteen. It was then that one of my friends invited me to Wattpad, convinced that I would enjoy it. And she was definitely right.

Why did you participate in the Open Novella Contest?

The ONC 2020 edition was actually the very first time I had entered the competition. I didn't have a lot going on at the time, so I thought that I might as well give it a shot. I'm glad that I did!

What inspired you to write your ONC winning story?

The main characters were inspired by me and my real-life experiences in terms of the romance. It made me realise how dramatic my life really was! As for the actual story itself: I love all mythologies; mainly Greek and Roman; so I knew that I wanted to write something to do with a pantheon of gods. Mayan mythology was simply one of the ones I was yet to explore — and it was so interesting to research.

Do you have a favourite part in your story that you would like to share? Please, elaborate why you like that part in particular.

My favourite part would have to be when the female leads and love interests, Maya and Lorenne, first meet. Maya is completely awe-struck by the foreign Lorenne; who is her opposite in almost every way. Their exchange sets up their relationship and reality-transcending backstory for the rest of the book. The scene was modelled after the first time I saw my real-life crush in high school ( the inspiration for Lorenne ), as I was also rendered quite speechless at the sight of her — and couldn't even work up the courage to speak to her until fate decreed that we would see each other in almost all of our classes...very much like the dynamic of Maya and Lorenne.

What did you like about the Open Novella Contest the most?

I absolutely loved the prompts! And the time frames — it helped to keep up with the rounds and to keep writing. But most of all, I loved the support every contestant showed towards each other. It was really encouraging and motivating!

What do you like best about writing on Wattpad?

I love the sense of community on Wattpad — it's amazing how easily you can find people who share the same interests as you just by networking with authors and creators. I am so grateful for the friends and followers I have and have had along the way.

Congratulations to you once again and thank you for the interview! We wish you all the best for your future writing endeavors. 💛