4; girl meets Pittsburgh

'We're moving to Pittsburgh

'We're moving to Pittsburgh.'

Those words repeated themselves in Delilah's brain. Over. And over. And over.

She wasn't happy with that change. She was terrified of change. She didn't want any change.

Maybe she didn't have a lover to leave behind or a group of amazing friends like Topanga, but she had her life there. And Eric. Her best friend. How was she going to tell him the news?

It was the day before leaving, and Delilah finally decided to face Eric and tell him. As she walked towards the Matthews' side door, she heard Feeny.

"For as long as I’ve known you, whenever you’ve been faced with adversity you have always risen to the occasion. Now I have no reason to believe you won’t again." The man told Cory as they sat on the Matthews' bench.

"Do you believe that two 16-year-olds can be in love, Friar Feeny?" Cory asked.

Delilah stopped on her spot. Not wanting to interrupt the conversation.

"I believe that you and Miss Lawrence have something that you won’t allow yourselves to lose. And if you search your heart and listen to its instruction, you won’t go wrong." Feeny said and Delilah smiled.

"Thanks." Cory hugged him, "That was brilliant. My true journey to Topanga begins, huh?" He stood up and rushed towards the street. "Hey Lilah." He greeted as he left.

"Yes, well… There we are." Feeny muttered to himself before turning around and seeing the girl slowly walking towards the house. "Miss. Lawrence. I see you're not in a rush." He joked.

"No, not much." She chuckled. "I guess when reaching the final line means ending--" she paused and looked at the door, "-- you don't want to run." She took a deep breath and Feeny stood up.

"Well Miss. Lawrence, I can only say, that the sooner you tell him, the sooner it'll heal." He said and walked to his porch. "Good night Delilah."

The girl knocked on the door with her shaking hand and waiting impatiently for someone to open.

"Delilah!" Amy opened with a smile. "Eric is in his room. He'll be happy to see you." She talked softly knowing what she was there for.

Delilah walked upstairs at a slow pace, and when she finally reached Eric's room, she knocked still anxious.

"Come in."

She opened slowly and looked at Eric, who was sprung across his bed staring at the ceiling.

"Hi." The girl closed the door behind her.

Silence.

"Eric, are you ok?"

"You're leaving." He said with no emotion, surprising the girl. "You're leaving and I had to find out through Cory." He said with a more upset tone. "You're leaving and didn't have the guts to tell me!" He almost yelled still laying. "How could you?" He sat up with anger.

"I'm sorry." The girls sobbed as she felt tears down her cheeks. "I was scared."

"Of what?" Eric stood up in front of the girl and grabbed her arms when she didn't answer. "Of what? Delilah."

"Everything! Change, leaving, losing you! I couldn't face you Eric! I couldn't look at you without breaking down!" She shouted at him still crying. "You're my best friend." She pointed his chest, "I don't want to leave you behind." She paused. "Nor Shawn, nor Cory. But especially you."

The room fell in a deafening silence, as the teenager stared at each other with tears in their eyes.

"Say something."

"You should have told me. We could've hang out more. You should've told me. You! Not Cory. You!" He continued to talk in anger.

"I said I'm sorry! I can't change what I did or didn't do!" The girl shouted back. "I can't change myself!" She paused, "and I won't!"

"What are you even talking about?"

"You know me better than anyone. You know exactly why I didn't tell you. You know you're being selfish. But you won't admit it. You know I'm right!" Delilah was very upset and disappointed.

"No, I won't." He said simply.

"Are you really going to make me go to Pittsburgh with this argument as our last conversation?" The girl asked in shock.

"Have a nice journey." Eric said and walked to his seat sitting down.

Delilah felt the tears again and rushed out of the room, slamming the door on her way. Once she was downstairs she looked at Amy and Alan with a sad expression.

"I'll miss this place." She said and Amy walked to her and hugged her.

"And this place will miss you." She smiled at Delilah.

"It's going to be hard, but hey! Pittsburgh it's a nice place too.", Alan walked to her.

"Not as good as Philadelphia. Pittsburgh doesn't have my best friends." She tried to smile but failed.

"Come here." Alan hugged the girl too and when he broke the hug the girl felt someone was still hugging her.

"I'll miss you." Morgan said with watery eyes.

"I'll miss you too Morgan." Delilah hugged her back.

•••

"Are you coming?" Topanga asked her sister before leaving the car.

They were in front of the Matthews' to say goodbye.

"You go. Tell Shawn and Cory that I'll miss them."

•••

"What’s going on?" Eric asked as he approached Cory, who was still looking at the spot where the Lawrence's car left.

"Not much." He answered almost chocking on his own words.

"It smells good out here. What is that, trees?" Eric looked around trying to lighten the mood.

"I didn’t even say goodbye, Eric." Cory sounded broken.

"It’s alright, you’ll say goodbye the next time you say hello." Eric chuckled but stopped when he realized Cory wasn't for jokes. "You know? I didn't say goodbye either."

"Mom and dad said you had an argument before she left. I'm sorry." Cory said still looking at the same spot.

"Look, I was gonna go out, I dunno, get a pizza, rent some movies, you wanna go?" Eric tried to help.

"No thanks."

"Aw, come on, it’ll be my treat, we’ll go to Little Tony’s."

"Naw, I just think I want to stay here." Cory talked on the verge of tears.

"Listen, Cor. I know I’m your older brother and everything, but, uh, I don’t know how to protect you from this one." Eric paused, "I couldn't even protect myself."

"Could you just stay with me?" Cory asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I’m not going anywhere, man."