The Chickens

Monday morning, you had been in the kitchen to prepare the breakfast for you and (Y/D/N), your 5-year-old daughter. She had requested you to make Belgian waffle with maple syrup. And as you knew that it was her favourite, you did it as she asked.

That day would be a busy day for you as you had to drive her to school before 8.30 and then you should also drove to Zurich to pick Seb up from the airport. He had just finished his first race with Aston Martin on the previous day in Bahrain. It was a race to forget, for sure, and you expected that he would be a little silent as he used to be whenever the race didn't go his way.

As you had served the waffles on plates, you put those on the dining table and then looked for (Y/D/N) at the living room. You smiled when you found her reading a book. "(Y/D/N), the waffle is ready!"

"Wait a minute, Mama!" she replied. Her eyes were still focusing on her book.

You bowed down as you wanted to know which book she was currently reading. "What are you reading, baby?"

"It's Tough Chicks, Mama. Penny, Polly, and Molly," she mentioned the characters in the story.

It was a beautiful story book for children. The story was about three chicks who were tough since they hatched from their eggs. All the other animals and even the farmer told Mama Hen, the chicks' mother, to make her chicks good. But she insisted that they were all good. The moral of the story was that parents' love was unconditional and they would always stand up for their children.

Thinking about that story suddenly made you remember that you hadn't cleaned the coop and fed the chickens that your little family owned. Seb was gonna be mad if you totally forgot to do that. You decided to feed them after you and your daughter had your breakfast.

"Sweetheart, what if we eat our waffles now? And then, you can help me to feed the babies," you said. Your daughter used to call them 'babies', and it always made you and Seb chuckle.

"Yes!" She quickly closed her book and left it on the carpet. Then, she took your hand as you both walked to the dining room.

You and your daughter started having your breakfast. She happily ate her favourite waffle. And you were so proud that she could eat by herself. Right after you both finished, you collected the plates and glasses.

After you washed the dishes, you brought your daughter to the backyard where you and Seb raised your chickens. As you expected, there were so many dirt and feathers that were needed to be cleaned out.

"(Y/D/N), can you please wait for me? I need to clean the coop first," you told her.

"Sure, Mama."

You started shoveling and scraping the dirt and feathers out with using a garden hoe. You giggled when she groaned as she smelled the chickens' poop.

You needed to clean it as quickly as possible as you still had to prepare the food and water for the chickens. You made sure that there was nothing left and you sighed a relief when it was perfectly clean.

The next thing you did was filling a bucket with water for the chickens to drink. And then, you finally brought (Y/D/N) to the coop as it was time to feed the chickens.

"Mama, what do the chickens eat?" she asked.

"They usually eat corn, peas, wheat, or something like that," you explained when you and your daughter were filling the feeders.

"Why don't they eat pizza?"

You were about to burst in laughter, but remembering that she was just an innocent 5-year old girl, you tried to hold it and gave her a simple answer.