Comfort

It was your first day of period and as usual, you felt menstrual cramps. It was very painful right in the lower abdomen. The discomfort was merely annoying to you. As your husband in the last two years, Seb understood that you were usually nothing but very moody on that unwanted day.

You both were in the kitchen, preparing to cook for lunch. Seb kindly helped you as he thought that it was one of the opportunities he wouldn't miss when he was home with you.

Diced steak and mushroom goulash was the food that you were going to cook. Goulash was originating in Hungary and it was one of some things that Seb liked from the country, except for the last race there where he got disqualified from his superb second place due to technical infringement.

You were putting the butter and oil into a frying pan, while Seb was cutting the meat and mushrooms. You suddenly got annoyed when you saw that he cut it too big.

"Seb!" you barked.

"Yes, (Y/N)? Did I do something wrong?" he asked as he could sense that something was going on.

"Did I do something wrong?" you impersonated him. "Don't you see that the meat that you cut are too big?"

Seb looked at some pieces of meat that he had cut and she was right, those were too big. "Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I will cut it again if you-"

"No! Just leave it like that. But for the rest, cut it smaller," you commanded him.

Thankfully, Seb didn't take it personally when you snapped at him as he knew that how moody you were and he also understood that he was in the wrong. He did as you asked and he was grateful that there was no comment from you when he cut the mushrooms.

An hour later, you were still stirring the goulash. Your arm started feeling sore and also, you needed to go to toilet. You turned around to see that Seb was sitting on a dining chair, looking at something on his phone.

"Seb!"

He quickly put his phone on the table and approached her. "What should I do now?"

Instead of telling him what to do, you expressed your annoyance to him. "You prefer to check on your phone than helping me here."

"No, it's not like that, (Y/N). I've just got a message from-"

He was about to tell you that Otmar sent him a message to tell that there would be a Zoom meeting to attend that evening when you cut him off and gave him the ladle.

"Stir it until the meat is tender. I need to pee."

"Okay."

He took it from you before you ran a little to the nearest toilet. After finished, you saw your reflection in the mirror and sighed. You felt extremely guilty for treating him like that.

Having menstrual cramps couldn't be an excuse, for every month. You suddenly got so emotional and cried. You were afraid if one day he couldn't cope with your behaviour anymore. But then, you shook your head and turned on the faucet to splash some water on your face.

You didn't realize that you had wasted some of your time inside the toilet. When you came back to the kitchen, Seb had served the goulash on two plates. He had even made mashed potato as well.

"The food is ready," Seb declared. "What do you want for your drink?"

"Water is enough. Let me prepare it."

Seb led you to sit down on the chair. "No, I'll prepare it for us."

He poured mineralized water to two glasses and brought it to the table. Then, you both started eating your food.

"I'm sorry about earlier. Otmar texted me to tell that there'll be an online meeting tonight. Both Lance and I have to attend it."

Of course, Seb would be the first one to apologize. "I'm sorry too. I didn't know that there was an important info from him."

"It's okay," he replied, before showing his genuine smile at you.

---

You woke up after taking a nap for an hour in your bedroom. Seb had suggested you to get some sleep, with the hope that it would relieve your cramps a little.

It turned out to be true. It wasn't as painful as some hours ago, but you still wanted to lay there for a little while. But then, you wondered where Seb was.

Your question was immediately answered as Seb turned the handle of the door to enter the room. He smiled while approaching you and there was a mug in his hand.

"I made peppermint tea for you," Seb said while seeing you sit up on the bed.

"Ah, thank you, Seb," you received the mug from him and started drinking it.

He sat next to your feet. "I read from Google that peppermint oil can relax the stomach muscles and reduce the severity of menstrual cramps. So I decided to make it for you."

"I never tried this before. I usually made chamomile tea, but this is nice as well," you told him.

You were touched to know that how caring he was to you, especially on a moment like that. It made you even more guilty for behaving so badly to him.

The mug was put on a nightshift and then you patted an empty space next to you. "Sit down here."

He moved to sit next to you on the bed. Surprisingly, he lifted a little the hem of your t-shirt and put his hand on your lower abdomen. It was as if he was transferring some heat to your tummy and it felt comforting. Sometimes, he stroked it with his thumb. You showed your gratitude with giving him a brief, gentle kiss.

"Seb?"

"Hmm?"

"Aren't you tired with how I behave like this, on every month?"

He chuckled. "No. Instead, I learn that all women in this world are very strong. All of you have to go through this every month. Some of you also experience the pregnancy for more than 9 months and then give birth which I believe is very painful. It gives me an important lesson that we, men, need to appreciate women for their strength, for everything they do and experience."

His words made you very emotional. He wasn't surprised when he saw you teary. "It means so much to me, Seb. I often feel so stupid when I can't control my emotion. I can't always make this problem," you pointed to your lower abdomen, referring to your cramps, "as an excuse for me to snap at you. I hope that when I get older, the cramps couldn't get any worse than this."

"I hope so too. I would love to swap positions with you if that was too painful for you."

You shook your head. "No, you better don't experience it. You also experience having sore on your neck or even your whole body after the race, which can happen twice or even thrice a month."

"You are right, (Y/N). Erm, you can drink again your tea."

"Ah yeah."

He pulled his hand from your stomach as you wanted to bring back your mug of tea and drank it. After that, you both laid and hugged each other.

You knew since the beginning of your relationship with him that he was always very respectful towards all women and you were glad with how he could handle your moody and emotional behaviour very well.

---

*(Y/N): Your name